Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting New Mouse And Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MusicWriter0984

MusicWriter0984

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

Hi guys.

Right now, on my laptop, I'm using the default keypad and a 10 year old Logitech mouse. It was on our first computer, and it has a grand total of TWO buttons and no wheel.

I'm looking to update my mouse and keyboard.

Here are the products I'm considering. I certainly don't expect you guys to look everything over, but I'd greatly appreciate any insight :-).

Wireless Mice:

Logitech MX1000:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UM0J...5Fencoding=UTF8

Logitech G7:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AY5Y5...5Fencoding=UTF8

Corded Mice:

Logitech G5:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AY5YI...5Fencoding=UTF8

Logitech MX518:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Z1M5...8&s=electronics

Keyboards:

Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A6PPO...8&s=electronics

Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002CPBU...8&s=electronics

Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009W7NY...8&s=electronics

As far as the mice, I'm leaning toward corded now. For a while, it was hard to pick between corded and wireless, but I decided that corded would be a more dependable connection for me. I read reviews, and people seem to either LOVE or HATE wireless mice. There are more lovers than haters, but I'm afraid I'd be the one person who seems to have a problem with the wireless mice.

The MX518 and G5 both appear to be good mice. I know a guy who uses MX518, and he loves it. I'm kind of looking at the G5 right now. It does have one less button, but it also has a whole lot more to offer than what I have now :-).

As far as the keyboards, I'm not sure where to go there. I lean to one of the cheaper ones on my list, becuase they are perfectly fine keyboards, and I don't really need the ergo keyboard. It is pretty neat, but I don't really think it's worth the cost for my use.

I'm welcome to any advice you guys have on these or other products to consider. Thanks so much in advance, and sorry my post was so long.

-Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

For the mice, I think corded is better, too. You save on batteries and you won't lose the connection, and they're cheaper. I find 2 buttons and a scroll wheel to be all I need, but I'm sure the other buttons would come in handy at times. I think optical mice are still perfectly fine, unless you use the mouse on your leg or the underside of a table a lot. I'd go with the cheaper one, especially if you're just looking at the number of buttons.

As for the keyboards, I like the 2 non-ergo keyboards just because I've never used an ergo one, but that's your preference. It also depends on what functionality you want on it. I get around the net perfectly fine without browser buttons even though I have them. If you just want to type, run to your local Wal Mart and pick up a cheap keyboard there, but those 2 are the 2 I was looking at when I thought about a new keyboard. I might just go with the microsoft one because it has a more standard button layout, but if you like the Logitech (good brand, btw) setup, to with that.

Just one more suggestion: I'd stay away from amazon.com for buying computer stuff. I didn't cross-check the prices on the items you specified, but from other components, amazon has had a 40% markup compared to all other sites I checked. I'd look for those on newegg.com. might find them for cheap.

Just as a side note, I didn't even look at the wireless mice because I won't even consider them until corded mice disappear and the prices come down. I have a hard time justifying over $25 for a mouse, let alone $60!

Edited by Lanscader, 28 March 2006 - 07:00 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 MusicWriter0984

MusicWriter0984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

For the mice, I think corded is better, too. You save on batteries and you won't lose the connection, and they're cheaper. I find 2 buttons and a scroll wheel to be all I need, but I'm sure the other buttons would come in handy at times. I think optical mice are still perfectly fine, unless you use the mouse on your leg or the underside of a table a lot. I'd go with the cheaper one, especially if you're just looking at the number of buttons.

As for the keyboards, I like the 2 non-ergo keyboards just because I've never used an ergo one, but that's your preference. It also depends on what functionality you want on it. I get around the net perfectly fine without browser buttons even though I have them. If you just want to type, run to your local Wal Mart and pick up a cheap keyboard there, but those 2 are the 2 I was looking at when I thought about a new keyboard. I might just go with the microsoft one because it has a more standard button layout, but if you like the Logitech (good brand, btw) setup, to with that.

Just one more suggestion: I'd stay away from amazon.com for buying computer stuff. I didn't cross-check the prices on the items you specified, but from other components, amazon has had a 40% markup compared to all other sites I checked. I'd look for those on newegg.com. might find them for cheap.

Just as a side note, I didn't even look at the wireless mice because I won't even consider them until corded mice disappear and the prices come down. I have a hard time justifying over $25 for a mouse, let alone $60!

Thanks. I did notice that BestBuy tended to be more expensive than Amazon.

Before I actually buy anything, I'm going to check a variety of places. The links are just there for show :-)

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

If you can deal with the ergo keyboard - go for it.
Less chance of carpal tunnel syndrome in your future.

As far as viability, they will all work, so it's personal choice and what you will think you need and will use in features.

Go shopping physically and try them out to see how they feel to you - typing and using the mouse - comfort is important and the way it fits your hand and style. Then buy wherever you get the best deal or the most convenience.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

I have to agree about trying out the keyboard, especially if you are going to do a lot of typing or word-processing, where the feel and "sound" of the keyboard can be very important. I myself have always preferred some of the Logitech kbs with the detachable wrist rests.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users