Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All security certificates are bad

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I have an old computer that has not been connected to the Internet for many years because it only had a dial-up modem installed in it. I finally installed a network adapter (installing all service packs first), and now it thinks every security certificate is bad. The security certificate list in Internet Explorer only shows certificates that expired years ago. The only recent certificates are the ones that were placed in the untrusted list by Windows updates. Is there anything I can do? This computer runs Windows XP Professional SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Try this link first http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/04/06/how-do-i-fix-invalid-or-expired-security-certificate-errors/

Tekken

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

The date and time are correct, and I am entering the correct address.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Old 128-bit certificates need an update, and even after that few will still be old because of some sloppy websites. Windows updates might not include the certificate fixes.

You will need to run this patch (I did on XP-Pro-SP3): WindowsXP-KB2524375-x86-ENU.exe
After MS checks your genuine advantage you will be able to run it.
Download link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18519
Also check this, which should be installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125

More explanation here
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/getting-a-handle-on-security-certificates/

Edited: My notes aren't clear. Can't recall whether 931125 or 2524375 ran genuine advantage check, it might have been 931125.

Edited by tos226, 13 January 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

The second item (931125) looks like what I need. The first update is already installed. I will try it later.

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

The KB931125 download fixed it. I don't get any security certificate errors anymore.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thank you for letting us know you've resolved your issue. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users