Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TrakFones

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have a TracFone, and I really can't wait 15 mins, till an assistant who is taking other calls is free, what do other Cell phones do, like yours for
instance ?

Edited by Jove, 12 January 2013 - 06:45 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Can you take care of the business you need via the website? Thus avoiding the wait time. I do all my transactions via the carrier website. But I don't use a TracFone either.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 barpanda

barpanda

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm with Animal. Try to handle business by other means if possible.

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

When I first read your answers, my first thought was this subject was inappropriate for this forum and that I shouldn't be wasting your time when I should bee looking elsewhere for the answer to my question.

But, very right as you may be, so your telling me that regardless of what type of cell-phone your using, your first option would be to select the web in such a situation where the call would be held up while waiting for an answer?

May you answer only if there is an alternative.

My brother tried having his wireless connection fixed via DELL and the Phone company, and after a 400 dollar bill he reverted to the land line phone, . . and so at this time I am also wondering, aren't there different plans ?
But I guess no plan would solve that problem ?

I mean I think these were 800 numbers, but, so I know that doesn't mean diddly on a trakfone.

Edited by Jove, 14 January 2013 - 05:02 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 barpanda

barpanda

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Yes, that's correct Jove. If you're concerned with racking up extensive fees due to a limited amount of minutes available per month then the best way to avoid those fees is to utilize another method (company website) of communication. Perhaps try calling from a land line if you have access to one. Other than these suggestions, you might consider upgrading your cellular service in the future to something that is unlimited.

Although, based on this comment - "My brother tried having his wireless connection fixed via DELL and the Phone company, and after a 400 dollar bill he reverted to the land line phone, . . and so at this time I am also wondering, aren't there different plans ? But I guess no plan would solve that problem ?" I'm a bit confused... Could you clarify this comment for me?

Thanks,
Chase

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I answered your original query in how to mitigate the excessive hold time with your mobile carrier. That being try to do as much as you can transaction wise on their website.

Now I too am confused by your introduction of your brother and Dell and a $400.00 bill that I'm not entirely sure how it was incurred. Nor am I sure what the relationship regarding your brother and Dell has to do with you and TracFone hold time. Additional information clarifying that connection would be welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Ahhh-haaa !!!

I am sorry to say I am also confused what I do know is that it took several hours for

several days, . . I do not know exactly what was wrong, . .

If I recall it turned out to be something not to complex, but they took the long way around

to solve this problem.

However I will try to get that info. for you to make a clarification.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

what do other Cell phones do, like yours for instance ?

I wish I could say that my cell phone has magic powers which makes someone answer my call IMMEDIATELY so I don't get put on hold. Unfortunately it does not and I haven't found any phone with that magic power.

My cell phone doesn't do anything other than let me hear music so I will know I'm still on hold and THE VOICE telling me at regular intervals "Your call is very important to us. Please continue to hold for the next available agent".

I don't use a TrakFone either. Does it do anything that other cells don't do?

This also happens when I use my landline phone which I use more than my cell phone. The landline doesn't eat up minutes. If I'm calling a NON toll-free number from my home phone I don't have to worry about extra charges. I have an unlimited long distance plan.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 January 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

I happen to use TracPhone which is a prepay cell phone service.

If you need to activate it, go to Step 2 on this page: http://www.tracfone.com/facelift/tour.jsp

If you need to add airtime, that can be done directly on the phone once you have bought a card. I would suggest purchasing a card that is called "double minutes for life" or something along those lines. Add that first, then add your airtime. What that means is that for as long as you use that phone, when you add minutes, you will actually be adding twice as much as what you paid for. So, a 60 minute card will give you 120 minutes. You can buy the cards at a variety of stores. K-Mart is one.

Personally, I limit my cell-phone usage. I use the land-line for nearly all local calls, all toll-free numbers, and even a number of long-distance calls since I have 100 minutes long-distance included in my phone package. I use the cell phone for emergencies, or if I must conduct some business via phone when I'm away from home.

If you are having other issues with your phone, check this page: http://www.tracfone.com/case_select_action.jsp

Note that cell phone reception may not work if there is no cell phone tower around. Also, if you notice that you have to keep recharging the battery one or more times per day or that the battery is having a hard time charging, you need to get a new battery for the phone. I bought a new battery for my phone a few months ago.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

I solved the minutes available with Cell Phones by only having a land line phone. do not have long distance service. I can still call 800 numbers from it. It kept working the 11+ days of power outage from Sandy. I have a Phone card for long distance that still has plenty of minutes on it that is so old I had to use tape to put it back together.

Problem solved. I can stay there as long as it takes. No worries about using up my minutes, and no worries about the battery going dead just as they come on the line.

The suspicious side of me says that some businesses will leave you on hold, hoping you will go away, and a company like Tracfone or any prepaid phone service, It is to their benefit to keep you waiting, using your minutes.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Another option is to have them call you and not have to wait. A free gethuman.com web service. http://gethuman.com/call-back/Tracfone/

And to get back to what I may not have answered when you said "what do other Cell phones do, like yours for instance ?"

Are you asking about the device itself or are you asking about the wireless carrier. I have an Android smartphone. So I'm able to do many many things with it. It is virtually a handheld computer. If you're referring to my wireless carrier, I can access them via my smartphone and a dedicated app, call them on my land line or smartphone, or go to a physical brick and mortar location and speak to a representative. Or as I mentioned earlier visit their website on my desktop, laptop computer or Android tablet and smartphone.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I almost forgot, What my brother does is go to a physical brick and mortar Verizon store location in a nearby town and speak to someone there.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#13 barpanda

barpanda

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I almost forgot, What my brother does is go to a physical brick and mortar Verizon store location in a nearby town and speak to someone there.

Roger

Another option, but I don't believe he specifically said he was calling his cellular service provider. Of course, and this is probably what you meant, if he needs to discuss plans with his provider he could do that, but to my knowledge Tracfone doesn't have brick and mortar stores... at least not that I've ever seen.

#14 Guest_emma r_*

Guest_emma r_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have T-Moble to go and I don't need any contact with them except once a year to renew my minutes, a 1,000 minutes for $100 and they roll over if you have any left.   It's perfect for me because I only get or make a couple of phone calls a month. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users