Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BCU.exe by DeviceVM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

One thing I have unfortunately experienced is that certain Motherboard suppliers infest their users with BCU (Browser Configuration Utility), a parasitic implant that does absolutely nothing for the unfortunate user but hog the memory and generate a huge number of events. It is also said to slow down the computer and dominate browsing freedom. You may not know you have BCU until you see some evidence of it listed as a program or in event logging etc.

My Firewall logged over 10,000 BCU records in no time at all under "Processes Detected", a massive log of irrelevant events, all due to BCU activity.

My Motherboard is supplied by Gigabytes Technology but another Motherboard that infests the poor user with this BCU plague is Asus, there may be others.

It is said that this BCU maggot comes with the Motherboard installation CD, so possibly users could omit it if they are lucky or experienced enough to spot it. But like toolbars, users often miss an unscrupulously included tiny box which is checked by default and simply carry on. My Motherboard was installed by others, I had nothing to do with it.

Rumour has it that all this BCU parasite does is generate a monumental cache to store all the visited websites in, so that it is supposed to speed up access when the user needs them again. HUH ! Not in my experience. On the contrary it is an ever growing and non-deletable monster memory devourer that SLOWS the PC down. But surely a cache is what EVERY browser provides as routine to "speed" up site access. Of course they do and THEIR caches can be deleted on browser closure. My Firefox is rigged to clear the cache on browser shutdown.

Disable BCU by Msconfig>Startup etc ? Forget it, the infernal pest simply keeps coming back. It is immune to being disabled, you have to uninstall it.

I uninstalled BCU with Revo Uninstaller, getting rid of all leeching remnants of it in the Registry etc.and life is now good, not a wisp of adverse operational efficiency detected in being without this BCU parasite and my FW is no longer trying to burst it`s capacity (and my memory) in keeping up with those thousands of insignificant and useless BCU event logs.

Conclusion :- If you have BCU contaminating your PC, then DUMP IT quick ! You will find a mass of comments on the web saying much the same.

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2013 - 06:48 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I apologize to the Forum and management for inadvertently entering this thread subject three times. It was a pure oversight on my part. I checked my content, but completely missed it.

The thread was introduced on 24 Dec. 12, again on the 28 Dec. 12 and then again here on the 12 Jan. 12. Unbelievable, but I unintentionally did it.

By all means read both this and the other threads as supporting information, but no need to post. Consider the subject closed. I just hope it has helped somebody.

I really am sorry for this ridiculous triple repeat. Getting old ? I guess I must be. If it is decided to delete any of this triplication, then please do.

Yabba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users