Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beethoven24680

beethoven24680

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I had to force shutdown my Dell Desktop because it was frozen. After rebooting, the screen would go black past the Windows logo. I tried booting into safemode but it hangs up at Drivers\Mup.sys I tried using the recovery disk and did "chkdsk /r." It said it fixed one or more problems. I tried to boot up again after that but to no avail, not even safe mode would work. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Did you run the Dell Diagnostics?

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

#3 beethoven24680

beethoven24680
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Just did it and during the Express Test it says:

"Error Code: 0F00:1344
Msg: Block 144854: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected."

After continuing the test, it said:

"Error Code 0F00:065D
Msg: IDE device failed: The self-test failed the read portion of the test"

Edited by beethoven24680, 12 January 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#4 3psilon

3psilon

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I had the same problem myself... I had video driver errors. First off, THE /r parameter in chkdsk does not work unless you also add /p. Secondly, another way of starting up your computer is VGA Mode. Press F8 at startup and select it... if that doesn't work, or you can't open the Windows Advanced Options Menu (and you should be able to), then I hope someone with a little more experience can come and help. Good Luck!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Moved to Internal Hardware, looks like failing hard drive to me.

See similar post at http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19271736.aspx .

Louis

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hi Beethoven24680

Usually that means that there are bad sectors on the disk in an area where something important to the system is stored.

We can make a boot CD that will allow us to take a closer look at the drive and maybe repair it.

Download the PartedMagic ISO for your computer (the big orange DOWNLOAD button) ask me if you aren't sure.

Instructions for making a Boot CD/DVD
If you don't already have CD Writing software, download and install Infrarecorder
and place a blank CD in your CD writer then run Infrarecorder
Click WRITE IMAGE
Navigate to the PartedMagic ISO that you downloaded and click the OPEN button
Click the OK button and it should burn your CD. When it is done it will automatically eject the CD and you can close Infrarecorder, you can now use this CD to boot your computer.

Instructions For Booting From The CD
If you have any trouble booting from the CD let me know the manufacturer/model of your computer and I'll help.

When you boot the computer that has the bad drive connected to it with the PartedMagic CD that you made a menu will pop up, please select
1. Default Settings (Runs from RAM)

When it finishes booting you will notice that it looks kind of like a Windows desktop.

Check SMART status of drive
After PartedMagic loads, double-click the Disk Health icon on the desktop and then double-click the icon for your hard drive. Click on the PERFORM TESTS tab.
Make sure that the Test Type is set to Short Self-Test and click the EXECUTE button
I will need to know if it passed or not.
Next click the ERROR LOG tab and let me know if there are any entries and if there are let me know what the rows say.
Next select the ATTRIBUTES tab and let me know what the raw values are for the ID's listed there.

If you can connect to the internet from PartedMagic use Firefox (icon on the desktop) to login here. You can get a report from the Disk Health program by clicking the VIEW OUTPUT button. Copy and paste it in your reply here for both drives and that will tell me everything. Otherwise provide us with the data requested at the bottom of this post when you reply.

Check partitions with fdisk
At the bottom of the screen near the START button you will see a picture of a computer monitor. Click it to open a terminal window. In the terminal window type
fdisk -l
(that is fdisk SPACE DASH l as in Linux) and press ENTER
I want to see the information that it prints out. You can take a picture of the screen or use Firefox in PartedMagic to login here and copy and paste the results into your reply. As long as the text is legible, a picture will be fine.

In your reply I need to see...

• Did it pass the Short Self-Test?
  • Any entries in the Error Log
  • The Attributes list (at least the RAW VALUES for ID's 1, 5 and 197 if you have to type them by hand in your reply)
  • The output of fdisk

There are more detailed instructions with pictures here

If you have any questions/problems, let me know.

The next tool we use will depend on the disk health results.
James

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I had the same problem myself... I had video driver errors. First off, THE /r parameter in chkdsk does not work unless you also add /p.

Yes, it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users