Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network - Failure to Communicate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 george321

george321

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hello. We have a home wireless network with two pc's. Both pc's are hp's running Win7. The modem is a Q1000. My pc has an internal wireless network card and my wife's has an external usb wireless adapter. Everything worked swell for a couple of years. Lately her pc started dropping the connection intermittently and as time went on dropping more frequently. I got a new adapter. Its a usb 2.0 802.11N. The old one was a 802.11 b/g. I installed the the new one and ran the disk set-up but i could not make a connection with the network. The old one still works intermittently but the new one not at all. Is there something I have forgotten to do or how do I go about troubleshooting it. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Please check your modem/router wifi led light if its still on green,(connected status)blinking continously to confirm that its not a router's fault. With the new usb N adapter, check also the Q1000's B/G/N wireless mode setup and try enabling N mode instead of mixed mode (if available). If N mode is already set, try mix mode (if available). While checking on the router setup, try changing wireless signal channel from automatic to 1,6 or 11 to check on the difference.

Tekken

#3 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

OK I'll try to do those things. Thanks

#4 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

In the end I got another adapter and it worked ok. The adapter I got from Ebay must be bad. I do appreciate the help and advise you gave me. Bleeping Computer is a very good site.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for reporting back the solution. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users