Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full bars, 54.0mpbs, but internet will not transmit data. Possibly faulty wireless card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dess314

dess314

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi everyone. I recently built a new Windows 7 computer with an i5-3570k processor and a gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H B75 motherboard. I purchased an ASUS PCE-N15 R wireless adapter to go with it but have been having a rather bizarre issue (plugged into a pcie 16x running at 4x slot). There are times when the speed is amazing, and the connection is steady, but then there are other times where I have full bars, the network status indicates I have internet access and a connection speed of 54.0 mbps, but no data will transmit in either direction. Websites will not load, downloads will not work (in and out of browsers). I have disabled my proxies and swept for viruses. I have my laptop right next to it checking internet speeds and connectivity and they all seem steady. I was wondering if you guys could help me assess whether or not this sounds like a faulty wireless adapter?

Additional notes:
When I choose to diagnose a connection, it tells me there was a "Problem with the wireless adapter or access point" and that it was fixed. Problem remains.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Welcome Dess. :) Have you tried reinstalling the PCi adapter's driver or use any available USB wifi adapter to check on the difference? You mentioned virus, were you infected and softwares did you scan your PC with?

Tekken

#3 dess314

dess314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hello! I apologize for the late followup (internet has been difficult). I have reinstalled both the drivers that came with the product and the ones from the products website. I have tried it with windows managing the wireless, and I have tried using the software that came with the product. In both cases, with full bars and a connection speed of 54 mpbs i still have moments where the internet slows to a halt. I was not infected with a virus--this is a brand new windows 7 install (with all the security updates etc). I have not tested it with a usb adapter but feel confident that it is the pcie card itself.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would try reseatting the card also just in case. There might also be better PCI wifi cards out there but of course the choice is between a USB or PCI for you to make.

Tekken

#5 dess314

dess314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Before I posted this, the card would have intensely fluctuating speeds but upon reseating it, the fluctuations are gone, but this problem with a stalled internet despite 54mpbs remains. Hm. I guess I'll return it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users