Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSH tunnel to hide real location

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I use online gambling websites a lot, however a lot of them don't allow you to sign in and block you account if you start using foreign IP addresses and I travel for about 4 months of each year for business so this is a problem for me. So I setup an SSH server on my home computer, connect via putty and proxy everything via socks5 so they will never know I ever left my home... but somehow some of the websites still manage to know my real location. Does anyone have any idea how they are doing that and how I can stop them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 janka333

janka333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

there is actually a few ways the website could be doing it.A while back I tried setting up a vpn for anonmyity's sake. I would go to the whats my Ip style websites and everything was good. then I noticed on some sites and with certain web apps the site would be able to find my location.

I did some digging and found out a lot of them are using googles database which gathers info from the router you are on. you can "_nomap" at the end of your routers SSID however (although im not sure if you have access to the routers while traveling) http://searchengineland.com/google-announces-nomap-wifi-optout-101134.

for me that did the trick and have not run into problems since.

however I'm pretty sure there are other ways for sites to run javascript on your end of the browser and sometimes use it to track your location. There are way's to disable scripts from running on certain pages (although I'm not sure if you'd be able to run gambling apps after which). a quick googling on denying website scripts should help. I'm not sure if this was helpful at all but maybe at least ill give you a starting point for certain situations or someone more in the know to elaborate on.

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Bloody google... Don't they need my permission to gather info about my router? :/ I was thinking the sites had access to my firefox settings and could see I was using a proxy... but anyway. I actually need a method that is 100% safe as I'm trusting these sites with 1000s of pounds. So I think the only way is team viewer, slow as hell but Id be basically moving the mouse on my own screen in england so there is no way for them to track that back to me. Thanks for the advice, will be useful for hiding me in less important situations :)

#4 janka333

janka333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

hahhaha apparently not glad it helped. also a vpn might also do the trick. I here people in countries without access to certain areas of the web use them to circumvent restrictions and get on chat roulette. also your connection is pretty well protected. I'm not certain if it will work but it's sure worth a quick chat with their customer service ...i personally use and love purevpn they have 24/7 live chat support and are pretty dedicated to connecting you and keeping you connected also not a bad price http://www.purevpn.com/ hope it helps happi gambling : D

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Closing this as it is approaching the edge of legality of compromising security procedures set forth by other applications,business etc...

Edited by boopme, 19 January 2013 - 10:16 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users