Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate Firewall Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daisy123

daisy123

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:04 AM

Good morning. I have a quick question about Sygate. Does sygate also block incoming email? When I am working online I hear the sound notifying me of email, however, when I look I see no new emails. I look in all my other email folders and there is nothing. Would sygate block some of my senders emails? Thank you for any help with this. I also just want to say how thankful I am for this website. I send everyone I know here just to get informed. Just fabulous! So, I thank all that created, maintain, and participate in this website. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

What program are you using to get your emails? Do you have a 'spam' or 'trash' folder that your email program automatically moves incoming spam to?

Sorry, I do not have an answer regarding Sygate.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

You may have made some inconsistent choices when first granting permissions, although normally it would either block all E-mails and not just some of them.

You can check to see how Sygate is handling the E-mail application you are using and modify it by going to Applications. Look for, say Outlook Express, in the list. Click on the little box to the left of it until it says "allow" in the access column, then click on "OK" at the bottom of the panel. Now, if that column already says "allow," and it might if you are getting new mail notices, then the problem probably resides elsewhere, and you should post back and tell us what application you are using; check your E-mails from the Website to make sure there are in fact new E-mails about the time you get the notification on your computer.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

I also just want to say how thankful I am for this website. I send everyone I know here just to get informed. Just fabulous! So, I thank all that created, maintain, and participate in this website. :thumbsup:

daisy123,

I do not use Sygate, so I am not able to assist with an answer to your dilema. I do however want to thank you, on behalf of the team, and members who contribute here. Your kind words are the kind of thing that makes volunteering here all worth while. It also is what keeps us coming back to help, again and again. Thanks Again.

Be Safe

Da Bleepin' Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

What Sygate product do you have?

Is it just an anti-virus ap or does it have other features like anti-spam or firewall?

#6 daisy123

daisy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

I actually downloaded this because I had seen someone here had recommended it. It is Sygate Personal Firewall. As you recommended I did go into Applications and check on the Outlook and it was allowing it. I did check my Spam folder and there was no new mail there and checked also in my deleted folder. Nothing there. However, I am getting some mail. So, I was wondering if I blocked some senders with this new program and did not know any better. Thanks for all the comments.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

Sygate Personal Firewall (freeware) has no spam blocker - it is a firewall and blocks whole applications if you set it to do so.

Here is the users manual for it:
http://smb.sygate.com/support/userguides/s...5_userguide.pdf

If this is what you got, and any of your email is working - then all of it is -

Did you get this or some combined package that you paid for?

#8 daisy123

daisy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

I didn't get any combined package. It was free. I will go back and read some of the self help. Thank you guys so much for all your replies. As I said.... You guys are fab-u-lous. If I have any questions with terminology I shall return. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users