Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

256 gb ram sticks for laptops?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hi I'm wondering if its possible to get ram sticks for laptops that have 256 gb on them I'm running windows 8 pro and I wanna get 512 gb of ram so I won't have any problems with the memory usage.
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi, Presuming You meant 256Mb? Is there some reason you can't go higher than 512Mb with the memory size?

I'm pretty sure there are no laptops that support 256 Gigabyte memory. And I've never seen that size memory available for a laptop. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist of course. Most common size seems to be 2 x 8Gb for a total of 16Gb. Even that depends on what the laptop supports.

For example I just got a inexpensive (relatively speaking) Windows 8 laptop with a Touchscreen display and it came wit 4Gb. hat seems more than adequate to me. As an example, The Windows 7 Machine I'm using right now is using 1.42Gb of memory and that is with Firefox and Email and Antivirus running.

One other thing th will make it faster, if it has a SATA had drive is replacing h with a SSD. Things will be much peppier and having the virtual memory on there will make it much more responsive if it is needed.

Anyway, Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I assume you meant MB, because I don't think you can get 500gb ram for anything less than a super computer :) Anyway I use windows 8 on a netbook with 1gb ram and its quite slow. So I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1gb.

#4 Allen

Allen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I meant gb because windows 8 can support 512 gb of ram
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Windows 8 itself can support up to 128GB of ram and Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise can support 512GB of ram. 256GB ram sticks do not exist, the largest for non-ECC memory is 32GB which costs $1.4k for one stick and the largest server memory is 16GB. As far as i'm aware, some high end laptops can support up to 32GB of ram. You will never never need 512GB of ram in a laptop or desktop, you won't run into memory usage problems, 8GB to 16GB is already more then enough for a lot of consumers.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users