Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer would not shutdown :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Double44

Double44

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

So I'm pretty ticked off at Windows Update at the moment, I have never liked this program but I deal with it because of its 'importance'. The only thing I've noticed it do is cause my system to run harder in the background, install updates to apps like Silverlight that I've never used, and give me Bing toolbars and crap like that. Yay.

What I really (honestly) want is someone to tell me that it's okay to avoid it, because I truly hate it with a burning passion. Oh yes.

To start, I've just reinstalled my computer. I've done this many times before (many), but this time around Windows Update has suddenly decided not to install updates correctly. I truly have no idea what has changed since the last time I did this, but they just won't. I have set them to download and install automatically, so that I don't have to interfere with the process. Here's what happened:

On about the 3rd wave of the Windows Update assault on my hard drive, I was prompted to shutdown again, but this time I was left hanging on the "shutting down" message for an hour, forcing me to do nothing else except shut it down improperly. This has happened to me twice already (the first being the previous installment), but why is this happening?? I turn my system back on and Windows Update is freaking out, giving me the 'updates did not install correctly' tooltip. 136 of them apparently didn't make the cut.

I'm using Norton, Malwarebytes, Firefox w/NoScript, Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Web Of Trust, and have updated all the main plugins. Please tell me these methods along with safe browsing is safe enough for my system. I can't do this Windows Update thing any longer, it's driving me nuts and is gonna put me in a very early grave.

Edited by Double44, 12 January 2013 - 08:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Windows Update is freaking out, giving me the 'updates did not install correctly' tooltip. 136 of them apparently didn't make the cut.

Hello Double44 and welcome -
Your topic heading is computer would not shutdown, but you seem to just mention updates and not Shutdown "specifics" ??

After your last re-install, did you update to Windows7 SP1 ?? This is one of the main updates for you to look for.
Is there a specific reason for doing the reinstalls that you mention, or is this just a "general" statement on your abilities ??

Now, do you get any Error Numbers listed with any failed updates, or just a "Did not Install" message -

>> ""I have set them to download and install automatically"" << I find this is not my preferred option on XP and Windows7 computers.
You can set the Updates to download at a certain time, but only install them when you are ready (my choice of download / install).
This way the time of install of the updates is up to you, and will not interfere with your general operations (I install at the end of a session only) -

When you are presented with updates, you only ever need to accept Express and not Optional versions offered. Quite often the Optional versions will include many of the type of Updates that you have already mentioned, and you do not want.
Temporary Disable your Norton program while installing the Updates and often you will have a better result. As you do not mention the version (or suite) you have with Norton, I can only offer general information for temp disable HERE

I always use a Google bar (by choice) and I have removed the Bing search bar, since I do not want both.

Please, remember that you do run a Windows Operating system, and although it has several faults, most other systems also have their problems.

Please add your computer Make and the Model if known, in your reply -

Thank You -
OOPS - Spelling Edit -

Edited by noknojon, 12 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#3 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for responding. So you are just suggesting that I install the Service Pack only? Is that the only update I ever needed? I would actually prefer that.. I guess I'm just worried about the system hanging on the "shutting down" message again. I hate shutting down improperly, I really don't like having to do that at all :P

The first wave of downloads/installs never included the SP, not until at least the 2nd or 3rd wave. I actually forgot to mention that the 2nd wave of downloads/installs were reverted after booting up, which means that because the system hung on the 3rd wave like it did, I'm really not sure which update was causing problems. It might have been a mix of updates, and I'm really not sure Norton was one of them. I've always installed Norton first after a reinstall, and have had no problems with it ever. Zero problems, infact.

My system is an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC, and my antivirus is Norton 360 Premium. Also I can't find the error messages, they are nowhere to be found in the control panel except a message saying "Failed" next to the update. I'd say that out of about 350 updates, half my updates have installed while the other half has not, the SP being one of them. I have updates turned off at the moment because I'm still very angry at it.

Edited by Double44, 12 January 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

So you are just suggesting that I install the Service Pack only? Is that the only update I ever needed?

Hi -
What I actually meant was that Windows7 SP1 was the first main update that you need to install after a reinstall -

If you go to All Programs > Windows Updates, you will see an option on the Left side that says "Change Settings"
Select from the options in the dropdown box for "Download Updates but let me Choose Whether to Install Them". Click OK -

Now when you get updates, you will then be able to pick them one at a time if you wish, and only select Express and Not Custom.

I have updates turned off at the moment because I'm still very angry at it < < A very bad idea generally as some are needed-
Go to SP 1 download page and click on the bottom DOWNLOAD for 32bit and the second bottom DOWNLOAD for 64bit versions
If you have not installed SP1, this may be a reason why the other updates are failing ...........

Thanks -

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

Deleted due to error in post -

Edited by noknojon, 13 January 2013 - 04:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users