Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting infected SSD via USB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 musicscott

musicscott

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Hi, all

I've got an SSD that I use as my boot drive in Win7. I've been thrilled with this setup and have had the best booting in a Win system I've ever had. A couple of weeks ago, it got infected with a trojan, along with my second drive that I use for data and programs. Fortunately, I still had my original SSD that I started with (found out 40gb was too small).

I've been able to use the old SSD as we've been getting the data drive cleaned up. It also doesn't have any infections.

Here's my question: How do I reformat the newer SSD so that everything is wiped off? I've got an external SSD > USB 3.0 case, so I can connect to my machine without any problems. How do I do that without risking transferring the infection back to the machine? I don't really know how much of an external drive gets read once you plug it in and want to be as careful as I can.

Cheers,
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

The following makes sense to me, but I do not claim to have any experise of any type with malware-related questions. Those are better asked of your Helper in the MRL.

If...the system is currently protected...attaching any drive will be nandled by AV and other defense apps.

Since any attached drive is only a data drive...and malware typically cannot do anything unless it's capable of execution...any malware present on the attached drive will not be able to execute, since that drive will not be the active drive, with the Windows on that drive merely serving as a collection of data files.

You can go to Disk Management and just delete the existing infected partition...turn of the system, change drives and reinstall Windows anew, if you like.

Louis

#3 musicscott

musicscott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hi, Louis

Thanks for the tip. As you can imagine, I wanted to be EXTRA careful when doing this. Just deleted both partitions on the SSD and getting ready to clone the OS again.

Scott

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Let us know how it goes :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users