Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS G74SX SSD + Stock HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Particalzman

Particalzman

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Working on a ASUS G74SX (not at the computer can't get more complete info right now)

I removed the original HDD, then installed the SSD in to bay zero where the original was at. All went well, installed the OS with no problems, then I made a bad choice when modding the registry and had to do a reinstall. At this time it would no longer boot from the Disk. So I had to change the boot order in the Bios, (I know right) anyway now the DATA partition on the stock drive shows in BIOS, all of it's partitions show in windows, and it will boot to original drive using ESC at boot then choosing it.. What I can't do and what I need to do is get access to the drive in Windows. I can see the DATA partition in windows explorer, I can see the OS partition in the management console. I can't do anything but change the drive letter. The first few minutes before I messed up the REG file, I could see the original drive and open all the files. It had to have been the changes to BIOS to boot the DVD at startup that is giving me fits now. I can't add anything to the BOOT portion of BIOS.

Any help would be great, I was thinking maybe if I put the stock drive back in bay 0 and then swap them back that I could get BIOS to give me the 3 boot options again. Thoughts, or fixes to this would be great...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Particalzman

Particalzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Both drives have windows 7 installed. I don't have the system with me as I said I have to go to there house to work on it or get details. I'm going to remove the SSD and then put the other drive back in bay 0 to see if I can get the BIOS to add it back to boot option then swap them both back the way they are. I will update this thread again after I get that done. I just can't find any info on this BIOS, thinking maybe if I call ASUS they might be able to help.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

What...is it that you are trying to do?

If you are trying to have both drives bootable in a dual-boot...the easy answer is to use EasyBCD to recognize both drives and set up whatever boot order you want. You will have to add one of the drives to the boot list.

If you have 2 boot drives attached and you want to access anything in the Docs/Settings folder group (with the second drive as a mere data drive)...you have to take ownership of those folders from whichever Windows O/S you have booted into.

If you dual-boot, whichever Windows install you boot into each time...will always be C:, while the other will automatically be assigned the next available letter. If you then log out and boot into the other, the drive letters on each will change.

Louis

#4 Particalzman

Particalzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Thank you Louis

I would like to option 2, but Windows doesn't see the old drive when booted into windows. So I can't get access to it, there are no option to change anything about the drive in the Computer Management console. It worked before I changed the boot order in the BIOS when I switched the DVD to boot first. The BIOS has no way to add a new drive, As I said above the new SSD boots OS on startup, if I use the BIOS BOOT MANAGER I can boot to the OS on it (both are Win 7) the OEM drive that is the secondary drive has three partitions RECOVERY, OS, DATA in the BIOS the DATA partition shows up, I can access the DATA drive in Windows Explorer, Computer Management console, and the BIOS. But I can't access or save anything to that drive when Booting into the OS on the SSD. I'm going to call ASUS on Monday and see if they can help, there is no documentation on the BIOS, along with quite a few bricked systems from flashing to the new BIOS update. The person I'm doing this for want to be able to keep only the OS and a very few programs on the SSD (even though it is 230GB) and put everything else on the standard HDD), they would like to keep it with the factory settings in case they have problems with the SSD drive. I have only done one other win 7 with duel drives and it was only a data drive so no need to do a couple of the things they want. If you have any other pointers or info that would be great. I think that you have helped me out with something before Louis, it's been awhile though. If this doesn't make sense let me know I tried to type it as clear as I could. I wish I could bring the system home to work on it but they want it done at their house which adds to the frustration.

#5 Particalzman

Particalzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Just to update the issue I had.

All this was solved by updating the BIOS, In stead of seeing the original C:\ drive it got changed to the drive name. That didn't change with the new BIOS, but what did change was the ability to assign it a new drive letter. For those that might read this looking for information, don't follow the other BIOS flashing instructions you might find. Simple download the driver from ASUS, save it to flash drive, restart the computer and enter BIOS. Then go to advanced and it has an option to flash the BIOS. As far as the rest of my comments, I didn't end up using anything but Windows and BIOS to setup anything. It now Boots automatically to the new OS on the SSD, if you press ESC while booting it takes you to boot option and select second drive. Everything is now accessible from both OS's. I will update if this works out in the long run. That new SSD drive with a fresh install of windows is SMOKING FAST though. From pressing the power button to click able icons in Windows 7 in 15 seconds!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users