Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast AV & Advanced SystemCare Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NunesGroup

NunesGroup

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Recently my father got his computer infected by a virus and took it into get cleaned up. The guy who did it added some programs on the computer to clean it up. We got it back today and I started it up no problem and then I noticed he added Advanced SystemCare Ultimate and IObit Malware Fighter v1.7 onto this computer. My father is running Win XP and it has 2 GB of RAM.

I have heard that running multiple AV programs causes more issues then fixes them. I just wanted to make sure the guy who fixed his computer didn't screw us up.

My father is not the most technological sound and tends to click random links and doesn't really pay attention so I want to make sure he is safe because I can't watch over his every computer mistake.

I have told him to not click random links but he continues to do so. Just trying to make sure the person who fixed this didn't make it worse.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Two things come to mind. Those are both iobit applications. Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 6 is not a free product so at some point you'll be asked to pay for it or he's used a crack to activate it. Can't be sure which scenario will arise. Lastly iobit products are not very well liked here due to past behavior of the company. The Malware fighter app is free but I have zero experience with it.

I personally think you would be better served removing the iobit apps and choosing different applications.

I'm sure you will get excellent suggestions from our members.

Thats my 2 cents.

You also might want to take a look here for more information: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewal

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 NunesGroup

NunesGroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Any recommendations for a computer user that can just be protected REALLY Well that won't slow computer down?

I was using ESET Nod32 AV for him and I liked it a lot

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

That a great tool. Eset is My favorite Pay application,then Kaspersky. I f you have it use that.

Add an antimalware like Malwarebytes.

AV and 1 Antimalware is safe.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hi NunesGroup -

Please take this as my personal view only, and based on my personal use only - This is not BleepingComputers view of IObit company -

The program / company seemed to hit the internet in a rush, but you must remember that it is from China, and only a while back, the ruling people did not allow a lot of access outsde the country for private users, so IObit was their only Suite choice, or the Rising Antivirus program.

Unlike some others, I have had experience with IObit programs, and found they caused several operating problems on my XP system.
The program / suite would clash with my installed Antivirus program, and it seemed to prompt me to run unwanted parts of the program

By the time I decided to remove this from my computer, the uninstaller would never fully remove the program (after several attempts), and I was still finding traces of it still installed 3 months after I had thought that it had been fully removed (even with their supplied uninstaller).

A program developer privately made a remover that did eventually clean out all of the remaining parts of the program, and I was surprised to see how much of the old installed IObit program still remained. I did a final check in the registry, and then I could not find no more of the old installation.

My final response is to stay well clear of this program, and only use well known, and established Antivirus and Antimalware programs
You should only install 1 decent Antivirus and back this up with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free or Pro versions

Thank You -
PS. I would tell your repair guy to stay well away from Advanced SystemCare Ultimate and IObit Malware Fighter v1.7 -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users