Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thanks! and tip for remote help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gdurkee

gdurkee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi:

I just wanted to say thanks to all the folks here who volunteer their time to help others, maintain the website and write programs that zap these $*()@*(&(*@!! malware & viruses. I've used the site (and malwarebytes) a number of times for friends and relatives computers. I'm typing this while running a full scan on a friend's computer who got the System Progressive Protection malware. Totally nasty.

I'm sure folks here know -- and it's likely somewhere in the archives(but I didn't do a search)-- but I'll mention that I've found Team Viewer the best for taking care of friends in distant places with problems. It's easy to download and start from their side and/or keep on your team viewer list; it starts and runs in Safe Mode; and it does file transfer. The last is critical for the malware that blocks browsers from getting to here or malwarebytes.com etc. For instance, I just downloaded iExplore, sent to the infected computer's desktop, and ran it remotely. Then was able to run malwarebytes scan (13 objects detected so far...) and clean their computer.

Strangely, it's been two friends in a row. One yesterday and one today. Both successfully helped in spite of my t-shirt: "Every time you call tech support, a kitten dies."

So, thanks again to all here!

Edited by gdurkee, 11 January 2013 - 02:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the note. I agree TeamViewer is an amazing tool and my one of choice when remotely helping my friends and family.

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

gdurkee - thanks for the impressions about TeamViewer.

Not an app I've ever used but have been interested in as I just had to remote into my sweet Mother-in-Law's machine yesterday morning to help with this pesky zero-day exploit in Java and I used Avast! to do so since we're both running it.

Now I need to go find me one of them t-shirts! :hysterical:

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users