Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avast and kaspersky internet security

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm helping my friend's mother setup her new laptop. Bran new windows 8(wow is that different) from Best Buy. Being from best buy and all, it of course has all sorts of software that it doesn't need. She put on Avast as that's what my friend told her to do, as that's what I usually put on for people since it's FREE and a decent program.

The question/problem:
It came with Kaspersky Internet Security (NOT installed). My first thought was that, it doesn't need it. But, I started to consider installing it for one reason. My friend's brother is living at his mom's house again and he uses the laptop as well. Now a couple years back when my friend was still living there himself, his brother used his computer a lot. (my friend is blind). While cleaning up my friend's computer I often found traces of, well... visits to sites that my friend didn't appreciate his brother visiting. I don't think I need to explain that further. Now, this is something that the mother is completely unaware of, at least as far as I know... they're all grown adults and all. Not my place to bring it up. I don't know if he plans on using her laptop for such things.... SO... looking at the back of the kaspersky internet program it mentions parental controls. I was thinking, maybe I could set some things up so it's more difficult for him to visit such sites... something that none of them even need to know I did. I decided that since that program came free(even though it's likely a 1 year license and they wont renew it) it wouldn't hurt to install it and see what the parental controls are like. Personally, I'd like to make it more difficult for him to visit those kinds of sites(I wish he'd just get his own computer) as in the past it has caused problems as far as viruses go... and, I don't really want to talk to either the mother or the brother about it.
So the problem... while trying to install it, kaspersky is telling me that avast is not compatible with avast and wants me to uninstall avast.
I went looking it up and it seems that kaspersky is not compatible with ANY AV program other than their own.
So my question to that is... are the REALLY incompatible? Or, is kaspersky just trying to get you to buy their AV instead?
I don't want to install the program to find out it is going to cause real problems.
Any help greatly appreciated...

I don't know if it's because I explain things in a lot of detail or what, but I've had a lot of people misunderstand or even miss what I'm asking in a topic. Someone even told me I was confusing... I like to think of myself as thorough. ha. Anyway... I put in BOLD the exact things I'm asking about just in case someone gets to the end of what I wrote and isn't sure what I was asking. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

So what you are asking is:

Is Kaspersky Internet Security compatible with Avast anti-virus.

Is this the question?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

kaspersky is telling me that avast is not compatible with avast

Hello millipede -
The above quote is basically correct, as both are similar Antivirus programs.
Kaspersky may also be telling you that it is time to Update to their latest version, but this is not usual -

You should not run 2 active Antivirus programs at the same time and should always Fully remove one prior to installing another.
Kaspersky is basically telling you this, but if you do wish to remove it please let us know and we can link a full Unstaller for you

Thank You -

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

So what you are asking is:

Is Kaspersky Internet Security compatible with Avast anti-virus.

Is this the question?

Essentially, yes...

noknojon, Kaspersky Internet Security is NOT an antivirus program. Kaspersky has their own AV as well but this program is NOT an antivirus program. On the back of the package it lists what it blocks, in real time. Viruses are not mentioned anywhere on the package...
Here's download dot coms downloads for kaspersky...
Their AV
http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-Anti-Virus-2013/3000-2239_4-10259842.html

And their "internet security" (this is the one that came with the computer)
http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-Internet-Security/3000-18510_4-10012072.html

You can see, the internet security program is an 80 dollar program, their AV is a 60 dollar program. Since the security program came free and had a function I thought might be useful, I thought I'd try it. But as I mentioned, it is telling me it is not compatible with avast. And if you look at their site when it offers more info, it lists TONS of AVs that are not compatible. But, this program is NOT an anti-virus program in any way. So, I can't tell if ALL AV programs (except their own for $$$) are REALLY incompatible, or if they just say that so they'll get you to purchase their AV software.
IF it was actually an AV program that provided virus protection, I might install it an remove avast and just change it up when it expires. but since it isn't, I MUST keep Avast on there(or another FREE and "incompatible" AV program).
So what I'm trying to figure out is... Should I just forget the security program? Or, if this warning was just a ploy, I could keep both installed.
Am I making sense?

Edit: just want to add that 99.9% of the time I BOLD words it is for stress, not because I'm yelling. No attitude is intended in any of my comments. When I type "REALLY" I'm typing it the way I hear it in my head... I stress the word REALLY, if I were talking I would be saying it a little slower/longer. Anyway, just don't want anyone thinking I'm frustrated. :)

Edited by millipede, 11 January 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#5 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

My "expertise" comes from the back of the box of Kaspersky Pure 2.0

There is a chart listing features with check marks for which product offers what feature.

All the features in Kaspersky Anti-Virus are included in Kaspersky Internet Security. AND you get 3 more feature! Wheeee

Kaspersky Pure includes all the features of Kaspersky Internet Security. So their products are cumulative rather than independent. Essentially, you already have Kaspersky Anti-virus so there is no need for them to try to sell you a product they know you don't need.

I understand the Kaspersky/Avast issue. I volley between the two. I get irratated with Kaspersky's slowing my machine to a crawl and head over to use Avast. Something crops up Avast can't handle and back I go to install Kaspersky again.....just the world we live in.

Have a great weekend!

FP

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thanks... My idea that there was no AV on it came from there not being ANY evidence of such on the package.
On the back was:

Real time protection against new, emerging and unknown threats.

Unique Safe Money Technology
Innovative Hybrid Protection
Identity & Privacy Safeguards
Dangerous Website Alerts
Advanced Parental Control
Safe Social Networking

And after looking it up and seeing two separate programs online, I thought they were separate. I played the video on CNET just now and while looking through the program I saw evidence of virus protection. So, I guess you're right about that. Wish that info was on the package they got. Oh well.

So now I have to choose between the two. That is tough. I saw some other people complaining of it being slow.
The parental control and the fact that it came free with the computer are the only things causing me to lean towards kaspersky at the moment... But being used to Avast, it being free, and not worrying about it having to be uninstalled in a year cause me to lean towards just leaving avast on there.
I hate decisions by the way. HA.
I guess I'll have to think about this some more.
Thanks.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

And their "internet security" (this is the one that came with the computer)
http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-Internet-Security/3000-18510_4-10012072.html

Hi -
Scroll down to the included video for a better look -
If you Enlarge the video at the bottom (click the square at bottom Right side) on start up of the vid , you will note the interface also has Virus pre ticked at the upper middle to left area, showing you that it is actually an advanced version of KIS (Kaspersky Internet Suite) and not just the basic KAV (Kaspersky Anti-Virus) -
This can be seen at around the 40 second area of the video -

This is actually an "All In One" Antivirus program with many extras added on to make it a Suite -

I think that you will find this is correct, but you can also use Google to confirm it -

Thanks -
EDIT -
Real time protection against new, emerging and unknown threats.
This is your final Antivirus clue -

Edited by noknojon, 11 January 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#8 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

My box lists features of Kaspersky Anti-virus as:

Real time protection
Hybrid protection
Proactive detection
Anti-phising

The additional features included in Kaspersky Internet Security are:
Two-way firewall
Anti-spam
Award-winning parental controls

I have always assumed all anti-virus programs protect against the same class of threats, more or less.

I would think it gets down to, are the additional three features what you feel are needed.

Decisions, decisions.... pesky creatures aren't they.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

FluffyPup has given you the correct and full answer there -

Both versions are "similar" but the Suite includes all the extras -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users