Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services.exe Has Terminated, System Will Reboot In 60 Seconds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Terk

Terk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:09 AM

The title says it all really. When my pc is turned on, randomly a square box appears with "services.exe has unexpectedly terminated due to error.... system will reboot in 60seconds." Exactly like the msblaster.exe worked. This isnt as frequent as that, and i have also scanned for the sasser virus to no avail. PLease help me, its so annoying i want to kill myself.

Regards.

Terk

Edited by Terk, 28 March 2006 - 07:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:17 AM

Is there more to the error message? It seems like something is missing.

You should be able to stop the countdown by: Start > Run > type "Shutdown -a" (without the quotes and press enter)

How did you scan for the virus? Just for kicks, download and run STINGER and see if that helps.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Terk

Terk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

is says services.exe has terminated, and that is all. is it something to do with the pc previously being used on a network, and it no longer is

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

Description:
services.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and manages the operation of starting and stopping services. This process also deals with the automatic starting of services during the computers boot-up and the stopping of servicse during shut-down. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: services.exe is also a process which is registered as the W32.Randex.R (stored in %systemroot%\system32\ directory) and Sober.P (stored in %systemroot%\Connection Wizard\Status\ directory) and Sober.S/V (Executed from the %Windir%\ConnectionStatus\Microsoft\services.exe directory) Trojans. These Trojans allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Determining whether this process is a virus or a Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/services/

Have you installed or uninstalled anything just before this problem began?

Can you pinpoint exactly when this began happening?

If you can, the best and easiest thing to do would be to try to use a Windows System Restore date from before the onset of this problem.

To do so, click on start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore and use the System Restore Wizard to revert your system state to before the onset of this problem.

Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users