Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free software for prevention of data theft.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Random Bob

Random Bob

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

Hello!

I'm looking for a software which asks for a password when some one tries to copy files from my computer to a pen drive or cd or upload to the internet. In other words I want a data theft protection software.

I know that even if I install such a software there are ways to get around it, but at least it adds a certain level of security. I did a google search and did not find any useful results.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Why can't you just password the computer so nobody but you can log onto it?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hi, As md2lgyk said "Why can't you just password the computer so nobody but you can log onto it? "

Then in addition You put a password in the BIOS so that even booting can not happen without the password, nor can the Bios be accessed with a password. Then if it is a Desktop computer you lock the side on so no one can get in the case to clear the BIOS settings.

At that point you have three passwords.
Then just remember to shut down the computer when not using it.

Now You are relatively secure. Not only can there be no data theft, no one can use it and get it infected.

This predicated on the fact that your computer has to be clean of any kind of Keystroke loggers or other Malware that might forward information from your computer to someone else over the Internet.

Another possibility is to encrypt the data so even if someone had it they would need the same software and your password to use it.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 January 2013 - 08:31 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Random Bob

Random Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Quote: "Why can't you just password the computer so nobody but you can log onto it?"

I already do that. The main reason I'm not satisfied with just it is shoulder surfing among other things. I also password protected the BIOS. I also encrypt my files. I want an additional layer of security.

So, guys please stop suggesting me other methods and recommend me a data theft protection software (No offence meant) :mellow: .

Thanks!

Edited by Random Bob, 11 January 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

You first asked about something to prevent others from copying or uploading files from your computer. Now your worry is "shoulder surfing?" There's no program to prevent that.

You first asked about something to prevent others from copying or uploading files from your computer. Now your worry is "shoulder surfing?" There's no program to prevent that. Is this by any chance a work computer?

#6 Random Bob

Random Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

You first asked about something to prevent others from copying or uploading files from your computer. Now your worry is "shoulder surfing?" There's no program to prevent that.

You first asked about something to prevent others from copying or uploading files from your computer. Now your worry is "shoulder surfing?" There's no program to prevent that. Is this by any chance a work computer?

I'm sorry. I was not clear enough. Let me clarify that.

"I need a software that asks for a password when someone tires to copy files from the computer to a pen drive or a cd or upload the files to the internet. Some anti-virus software suites offer this but they are paid. Kinda like the software used in corporate environment to prevent data theft by employees."

And please don't recommend an encryption software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users