Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing files between Windows 7 and XP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ghunt

ghunt

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I just bought a new computer and want to transfer over the stuff from my old computer, which is running XP.

I have it set up so the old computer is showing up on my workgroup on Windows 7 as a network device, but when I click on it it says I am not permitted to access that device. I set the whole C: drive as a shared drive on the old computer, so what's up with that?

Oh, and, I just went to look at it again and now the old computer is now not showing as a network device (it was earlier). How do I get it back on there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression you can't network an XP and a Win 7 computer. When my wife had 7 and I had XP I was never able to do it. When I upgraded to 7, the two computers networked automatically.

If I am wrong about this, I'm sure someone else will be able to help you.

Edited by md2lgyk, 11 January 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

There is a way to do it if you have a smartphone or tablet. Download Dropbox to your PC and also download the Dropbox app to your smartphone or tablet. Take your desktop files and place them in Dropbox. They will automatically copy to the smartphone or tablet or both. When it finishes copying and your Windows 7 PC is ready, you just have to download Dropbox to your new PC and sign into your Dropbox account on their website. Dropbox will automatically copy the files from your smartphone to your new PC. I know this works because I just got a new PC and this is what I did. Alternatively, you could copy your files to a CD or USB stick and then copy them to your new PC. But I like Dropbox better. All my files are backed up and accessible via my smartphone and tablet. I don't believe there is any way for XP and Windows 7 to directly communicate.

http://www.dropbox.com/

#4 ghunt

ghunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ohh...I thought I could get the two to connect via a local network in my house. Maybe it'd be easier to just get a USB data transfer cable...

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Ohh...I thought I could get the two to connect via a local network in my house. Maybe it'd be easier to just get a USB data transfer cable...

Or a thumb drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users