Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook Ransomware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LOTL

LOTL

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

A friend of mine emailed me earlier asking me if i had ever heard of this Facebook Ransomware.
He was trying to login to his Facebook page and its saying that his account has been blocked. It looks like a real FB page. Its asking for Name, Country, Address, Phone Number, Credit Card info etc.
It says that his account has been blocked due to sending Spam.

I have a screen shot, but its of pretty poor quality. Before telling him to bring it over, i figured id ask here and see if anyone else has seen this.

He says he can log into his FB account under a different user.
He ran malware bytes and it did find a few things. I saw a couple things while searching around such as cleaning your cache and cookies, but i suspect his host file has been altered.
Any suggestions on a good place to start would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LOTL

LOTL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Well i spoke to my friend earlier and he said that Firefox was having problems opening and then crashed. When he tried opening it again, it gave him some message about needing to perform some cleanup or maintenance and after it started he was able to access his FB page. I have no idea what actually happened or what "maintenance" firefox did, but maybe it did delete its cache and cookies and all is well??

I had suggested he clean things up using Ccleaner and then run a scan using HJT and email me the results along with a copy of his host file. If something looks out of sorts ill post back the results.
I suspect hes not out of the woods yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users