Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 10 Beers

10 Beers

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...
Sometimes, not always but often enough to be a pester, I have a blank place in my browser - w/Firefox and IE. Let me try to explain - I'm reading my email or surfing and there's a blank rectangle - completely blank - right where I focus/trying to read - approx. five lines tall and 3/4th the way across - right there centered. It stays there when I scroll up/down. Is this an issue with XP Pro or with my browsers or what? I've reinstalled my OS, IE8, Firefox and spent time in my favorite watering hole BSing with fellow travelers to little or no avail. So I figured I'd check with the gurus at BP. and see if there's any insight. Not a major problem but something irritating enough to get me to ask for help. Major problems are fairly easy to figure, (if nothing works - reboot and/or smack the damned thing - if that don't work, smack it again harder) but the little ones drive me to drink - a short trip.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Do you have any messgae dialogs that are a similar shape?
Does it appear as soon as the browser opens?
What happens if you minimize the browser then maximize?
If the browser is minimized does the rectangle appear on the window now on top?
Try disabling all extensions and themes (unlikely issue for both IE and FF)
Repeat Alt+Tab to see what windows are open
Find a utility that lists open and hidden windows (I have a script but there are apps like Winlister for XP)
Try clicking in the top right corner of the blank (in case there is a hidden X)
Could it be a white video overlay?

#3 3psilon

3psilon

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Is it just when you open a browser? If it's always present, then it might be something wrong with your video card/driver/monitor. I suggest updating and/or reinstalling your video driver, and re-installing your browsers.

If still, no improvement, then try various other browsers. Make sure Firefox/IE is updated, too. Try Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera (just TRY them, and give us the results. Anything improve?).

Also, make sure you have NO addons for firefox and IE. Just the vanilla browsers, straight from the manufacturers. It could also be something you might've installed. Go into Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and uninstall programs that aren't from Microsoft and that you've NEVER heard of, but take care when doing so. Look for context clues like "Addon", "Toolbar", "Browser", "Mod", and "Free".

Good luck!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

The OP has said that the problem occurs with multiple browsers. Uninstalling and reinstalling them or running them without add ons will not solve the problem.

#5 Jan Holland

Jan Holland

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

DO you have a { browsermngr.exe ] doubled in a non system3 directory when

you look in your [ Task Manager] (ctrlAltDelete0.

If yes,

you have a hew problem (like me):

How to get rid of those 1 or 2 { browsermngr.exe } 's

I wll come back here when

I know what to do on this.

TIP over sthing similar:

My browsers did not work at all:

CAUSE; Firefox was doubled in [ Task Manager ]

Solution:  reinstall Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users