Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New guy here - Hal - Windows Update Problem - I'm Lost

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 musichal

musichal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm Hal from Norman, Oklahoma. Not really. From Mississippi. In Oklahoma.

Just looking at the forum titles here confuses me, so I'll try posting my problem here and then hope someone here can help me by either assisting in getting my PC working correctly, or barring that, by finding a gun and shooting me - either outcome would be a relief at this point.

My desktop computer:

Gateway DX4822
Pentium dual core E5300 2.6G x 2
6G RAM 64bit os
1Tb hard drive
Windows 7

Says Windows 7 Home Premium in some places if that helps or matters. So....more than a year ago, it had a virus. After several attempts at attempting to restore it to settings from an earlier date without success, I finally did that restore from partition thing with option of keeping files. That got the computer basically working except that I have been unable to either manually or automatically update windows since then (well a couple other glitches I don't know how to describe).

Someone convinced me that I could get everything working correctly again by doing the full restore without saving files. Wish I'd just left it alone, but not being able to update bothers me. Kid at Best Buy who sold me this PC couple/three years ago burned restore discs for me. I did the restore without the file-save this am. Can't find the discs the kid gave me. Was directed to gateway site which scans my PC under it's own model page and it seems to suggest I need LAN and VGA Intel drivers, which it offered free for downloading. So I downloaded those two files - zipped - then did an extraction which seemed one of the few options I could find to get the files to do anything. Finally got the LAN file to run, so I guess that's updated. Can't find a way to get the VGA one to run. Don't know if that's all really needed or what. Wife is looking for the BB discs, which I have no confidence in using once we locate them, which we likely will, and even less confidence in the BB kid who burned them just as a matter of prior experience. Anyway, after all this I'm still right where I was, this thing works, but no windows updates for me. Plus I now have an annoying, recurring Norton sales thingie which has no uninstall option on the control panel, and which demands responses now and then before I can continue using my PC.

I get the error code 80072EFE at windows update site, and get referred to a fixit utility that claims to have found the problem and fixed it, then it's back to update attempt, same error message, same fixit, same claim it's fixed, back to update site and Bill Murray's PC Groundhog Day. The novelty of the cycle wears off rather quickly, and utterly fails to entertain on any level.

So...I just noticed the big blue note warning me not to post problems here. Obviously I am beyond help. Excuse the intrusion please. I'll redo the post in a day or two if I have no joy, which probably really means I simply give up and will just continue to limp alonglike I have been and forget about updates.

Edited by musichal, 10 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hello and welcome to BC :welcome:

No need to repost your topic. I'm moving it to the Windows 7 forum for you given that you've reformatted and reinstalled a time or two.

Someone will be along to assist you.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for moving this to the right place.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

This should fix it

Presss Windows+R key and type

regedit and click ok

Go to

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

On right side,change the value of

"UseWUServer"=dword: 1

change 1 to 0

Restart the PC,you should be able to update now.

NOTE:Back up the key to desktop by exporting it(right click-Export) before making changes

Edited by narenxp, 11 January 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#5 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

This should fix it

Presss Windows+R key and type

regedit and click ok

Go to

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

On right side,change the value of

"UseWUServer"=dword: 1

change 1 to 0

Restart the PC,you should be able to update now.

NOTE:Back up the key to desktop by exporting it(right click-Export) before making changes

Assuming HKLM = HKEY_Local_Machine, I could follow your path through to "Windows" but there was no Windows Update or anything like AU under that. I attempted to follow other paths to locate it but was unsuccessful. Any other ideas how I may find this? Also, I am embarassed to admit that I don't really understand your final NOTE.

Thank you for your reply, narenxp. I WILL be checking back for any further replies from you or others (I know how some people fly through such sites and let threads die, forgotten...have experienced the same thing with folks I've tried to help at an audio site where I've been hanging out for years). Help is appreciated and I will let you guys know if and when problem resolved.

Edited by musichal, 12 January 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

This is most likely due to network problem.

How are you connected to internet LAN or wireless?

Can you try changing your network connection? Try connecting via wireless (make sure to disable LAN) and see if that helps.

#7 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

This is most likely due to network problem.

How are you connected to internet LAN or wireless?

Can you try changing your network connection? Try connecting via wireless (make sure to disable LAN) and see if that helps.

My PC is a desktop model which has no wireless connectivity ability. DSL cable to wireless router to modem to PC via ethernet cables (I use the wifi for the two ROKU streaming devices in bedroom and living room). I had to get my ISP, AT&T, to put my service in bridged mode for the ROKUs which was a special little nightmare of its own due to several AT&T 'techs' who apparently did not understand what this meant (nor do I, it was what ROKU assured me I needed). One of the AT&T people forced me to purchase a plan for a year for their special tech service which would assist with any PC issues I might have just to talk with me about it. So it cost me $150 for a year and for days of frustration over the phone with the techs in this dept who ignored every statement or question about this "bridged mode" issue; they kept turning me over to supervisors and finally one told me he was putting my problem down as resolved because the ROKU devices were 'defective.' Both of them? Boy, am I unlucky. Finally, in the middle of the night a tech answers and tells me those guys have all gone home and he was just a regular tech. I gave him a little history about the bridged mode issue and he replied something to the effect of 'is that all you need' and muttered 'idiots' and had me fixed up post haste. I have been very uneasy about this bridged mode thing ever since given the large number of techs who don't know what it means and thus can't know how it may affect my PC and how it connects (in addition to AT&T techs, I also had dealings with some representing LinkSys). So that just sounds like a rant, and it partly is only that, but for all I know it may have something to do with this can't-update issue.

EDIT, ADDENDUM: I did something else since the previous post. Went to Microsoft site and downloaded "Microsoft Security Essentials" so that I would have some virus protection. Downloaded without a problem, then updated the malware prefixes or codes or whatever you call those virus names. Not a glitch. Program up and running. But still can't update windows, still get the same error code after the scan attempt to see what I may need, 80072EFE. Also went to esword and downloaded a bunch of bible stuff. Everything seems to work except Windows Update.

Edited by musichal, 12 January 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#8 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Not many responders....what about a different approach? I see that Microsoft wants to sell Windows 8 as an upgrade for about 40 bucks. Any opinions about whether such an upgrade may solve my Windows Update problem?

If it did, that would likely be my most affordable and easiest 'fix.'

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Sorry for the late reply.I cannot guarantee that upgrade could fix the issue.

When was the last time windows update worked?

Click
Download

TDSSkiller

Launch it.Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system

Click on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results

Open command prompt as adminstrator and run these commands one by one

net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
net stop wuauserv
cd c:\windows\system32
ren catroot2 catroot2.old
cd c:\windows
ren softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old

Restart the PC and try to update

Download

Farbar service scanner

Checkmark all the boxes

Click on "Scan".
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Edited by narenxp, 12 January 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#10 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

I did as you directed, but got some responses using the command prompt that probably indicate I did something wrong. After net stop bits the response was system error 5 access is denied. I also searched Help and the computer assured me I am logged on as administrator. I continued to enter the commands one at a time anyway rather than assume this wasn't the response we were looking for, but felt dum doing so anyway. Also had a response that filename or syntax was bad on one command, and for another that a filename was not found.

I had run TDSSkiller earlier today, having found that at the Microsoft support site, but didn't know to change parameters, so I re-did as you instructed. Both times got results of no threats found or quarantined. Also had found a suggested program on Microsoft site that said it would delete my WU history and begin the log anew from that point Obviously none of that solved my issue.

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 05-01-2013
Ran by Hal (administrator) on 12-01-2013 at 23:55:22
Running from "C:\Users\Hal\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\V1Z65ZEM"
Windows 7 Home Premium (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo IP is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================

Action Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.
The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK.

Windows Defender Disabled Policy:
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dhcpcore.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys
[2013-01-11 15:22] - [2010-04-09 05:06] - 1898376 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) 7FC877A25796D8ADF539E64703FCA7E1

C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

I reinstalled my Zune software earlier, and it updated fine, and appears in my Windows Update History. I can update the Microsoft Security Essentials malware stuff. Can't update windows. Suggestions? Your patience is appreciated. Oh, and BTW, I was very careful to type those commands as they appeared, so not sure where I went wrong there.

EDIT: Failed to answer your question. It has been more than a year since WU worked, which was after I did a restore following a virus. I have tried to resolve it a couple of times, but have gotten a little bit more determined this time. I do feel better having MSE for some protection, but52520it bothers me that although it claims to be on and working, Microsoft's little Mr. Fixit wrench guy keeps assuring me that he's repaired WU, yet it doesn't function properly. So How would I know? LOL.

Another oh. Wife and I have spent hours today looking for the restore CDs we bought with the computer. Can't locate. I'm sure we will find them readily about a day after this PC crashes. And so it goes.

Edited by musichal, 13 January 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Click on startmenu and type

cmd

Right click on it and select run as administrator and run those commands

Let me know if you still get access denied errors.

#12 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Okay, my commands were accepted this time. Well, I know the first few were, got appropriate responses and no error msgs. Really got no feedback from the ren commands. Still get the same message that Windows can't check my computer for updates (yes, after restart), same error code 80072EFE. Ran Farbar service scan again:

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 05-01-2013
Ran by Hal (administrator) on 13-01-2013 at 11:26:56
Running from "C:\Users\Hal\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\P72VG9F7"
Windows 7 Home Premium (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo IP is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================

Action Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.
The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK.

Windows Defender Disabled Policy:
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dhcpcore.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys
[2013-01-11 15:22] - [2010-04-09 05:06] - 1898376 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) 7FC877A25796D8ADF539E64703FCA7E1

C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

EDIT: Question - do I need to restart any of those "net stop" commands?

Edited by musichal, 13 January 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#13 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

This is just a bump to let folks know the update problem remains unresolved and that I'm checking in periodically, not trying to express any impatience with anyone - thanks narenxp for your assistance, and if/when you have the time and any further ideas, I'll be sure to see them. May bump again in a few days if no responses. Thanks, all.

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Press Windows+R key and type

services.msc and click ok

Right click on cryptographic service-stop it

Delete this folder

C:\Windows\System32\catroot2

Now start the service again.

Click on start button and type

cmd right click-Run as administrator

Run the following commands

netsh i i r r
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart the PC and check for updates.

Any other way to connect to internet other than LAN on the desktop PC? Mobile phones?

#15 musichal

musichal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sorry, how do I delete C:\Windows\System32\Catroot2 folder?

Okay, found 'em. Have catroot2 and catroot2.old, delete both?

Will await your reply before deletion, so I'll be checking back frequently.

No other way to connect to internet.

Edited by musichal, 15 January 2013 - 10:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users