Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Failure, can't boot, how to replace drive and reinstall Windows?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 527

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

My dad's computer (HP desktop, Windows 7) won't boot. When you turn it on, you get a black screen and a message just like this one:

Posted Image

Attempts to repair the boot part of the drive have failed - HP says the boot drive is bad. He thinks he needs to buy a whole new computer now.

Wouldn't it be possible to just get a new hard drive and install it in the computer, and then reinstall Windows 7 using the license that came with the computer? He's got a set of 3 DVD's that he made up for a previous destructive recovery of the computer.

I just need some guidance on if/how to get started. I'm thinking:

1. Get new Hard Drive
2. Install it in C drive slot
3. Insert recovery disc in DVD drive
4. Turn on computer and boot from DVD
5. Run Windows install with serial/registration from previous computer

Would this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Step One...should involve running the HP hardware diagnostics on the system...rather than jumping to conclusions about what the problem might be.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895819&lc=en&cc=kr&dlc=ko

From what I see...there's nothing necessarily wrong with the hard drive...it's a boot file problem presumably caused by corruption, IMO. That could be the result of a problem hard drive, but corruption occurs for many reasons that have nothing to do with the functional status of the hard drive.

Louis

#3 527

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

He ran some tests with HP tech support over the phone and that was the conclusion.

I would be happy to try this though - turn on the computer and press F11 to enter the repair mode?

#4 Golono

Golono

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

He ran some tests with HP tech support over the phone and that was the conclusion.

I would be happy to try this though - turn on the computer and press F11 to enter the repair mode?

When you run in to hardware problems, you always want to confirm the source of the problem first. Never jump to conclusions. As hamluis said, the fact that Windows failed to boot doesn't mean that the hard drive has failed. It is a possibility, but it doesn't confirm anything.

Now, you said that HP tech support concluded that it was an issue with the hard drive. Again, it is possible but one thing to keep in mind is that tech support representatives are usually not very knowledgeable and have little to no experience. Regardless, you will want to run some tests yourself. This may seem unnecessary but in actuality, it is very important that you confirm that it is a problem with the hard drive. You don't want to just immediately buy a replacement drive, it would only be a waste of time and money if it then turned out to be a completely different problem.

The link hamluis provided gives instructions on how to conduct your own tests. Being that you are unable to boot Windows, you will want to scroll down to the section titled Using Hardware Diagnostic Tools when Windows does not open. Then, you want to follow the instructions that are under Running the test from the startup screen (boot).

Hope this helps. Lets us know of the results.

#5 527

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I agree, thanks for the advice.

Unfortunatley he dropped the computer off at Best Buy before I could talk him out of it! :huh:

#6 Golono

Golono

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I agree, thanks for the advice.

Unfortunatley he dropped the computer off at Best Buy before I could talk him out of it! :huh:

Oh alright. How long ago had he purchased it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users