Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64 bit graphics app on xp 32 bit platform?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hello BC aficionados,

Operating System
MS Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 640
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
1.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 200MHz (3-3-3-8)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation D915GRO (J2E1) 137 F
Graphics
SMB2030 (1600x900@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce 210 (EVGA) 150 F
Hard Drives
245GB Maxtor Maxtor 7Y250M0 (SATA) 123 F
977GB Seagate ST31000528AS (SATA) 97 F
Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW DW-D22A
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B

I need to get as much forensic details as possible as i only have one shot to get the app loaded as its licensing process is a brutal one. I have binged to for days and the closest i seem to get is a MS security upgrade. if the initial install is breached, duplicate purchase is required, which anyone would want to avoid.

Thx

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I think the patch you need is a 64-bit PC. It makes no sense that you would get a 64-bit app for a 32-bit PC; you lose all advantages of 64-bit. I don't know of any licensing (even if the app uses a 3rd party company) that doesn't allow install failures. Typically, those sorts of apps are more prone to such failures.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hi -
This looks like a problem RAM 1.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 200MHz (3-3-3-8) - I would double it at least, but you can do that later -
A link to WIKI Based on XP Pro version, but not much on Media Version. Scroll down to "Compatibility with 32-bit applications"

Most articles are the reverse (running 32bit apps on 64bit systems) on Google, but I found a couple of links -

If the system is currently running, please post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions

If you Google your title (64 bit graphics app on xp 32 bit platform) this is where I found these.

Regards -

#4 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

thanks Nano and Nok,

I think i am over my BC limit for posting screen grabs, but i can copy/paste out of speccy just the same if more details are needed. after reading further, i think an xp-64 upgrade is obsolete. the good news is my processor might be 64 bit bus compatible and may be up to the task to support a 64 bit os upgrade (wind0ze 7 maybe?) which would be a duplicate purchase. here is the pasted CPU indications from speccy ,,,,,,,

CPU
Intel Pentium 4 640
Cores 1
Threads 2
Name Intel Pentium 4 640
Code Name Prescott
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 90nm
Specification Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Family F
Extended Family F
Model 4
Extended Model 4
Stepping 3
Revision N0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Intel 64
Virtualization Unsupported
Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled
Fan Speed 1280 RPM
Bus Speed 200.0 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 800.1 MHz
Stock Core Speed 3200 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 16 KBytes
L1 trace cache 12 Kops
L2 Unified Cache Size 2048 KBytes
Core 0
Core Speed 3199.9 MHz
Multiplier x 16.0
Bus Speed 200.0 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 800.1 MHz
Thread 1
APIC ID 0
Thread 2
APIC ID 1

and i have two sockets to plug in more ram. win-32 can only take 4gb ram (2x 1.5 gb additional), whereas the 64-bit os can support much more RAM. I will read further about the app, but the third party reseller definitely rules out the 32 bit os. the app is dassault systems CATIA V5 r21 student edition. then it gets more troubling with my Piece of Sierra GPU supporting the OPEN GL that the app requires. my gpu caps viewer indicates that open gl 3.3 is present. thanks again

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm no expert on 3D but my limited experience with Bryce persuaded me you need lots of horsepower. Otherwise you spend a lot of time waiting. In the earlier days of progs like Maya you simply had to have workstations to their specs. When I tried to install Maya into my PC it said no! It took me a long time to find info on CATIA V5 but I finally found the system specs for the student edition. 64-bit only and will not run on a virtual machine. As it is usable on school-level PCs I guess the hardware requirements are not that high. I think you are wasting your time trying to shoehorn into a 32-bit OS, especially if failed licensing has the consequences you detail. The package will probably take one look at the 32-bit OS and reject the install.

Edited by Nanobyte, 11 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

I think i am over my BC limit for posting screen grabs,

Go to the top Right side of this page where your name is listed and click the Left \/ arrow to see your Profile.
From there you can see My Settings > Manage Attachments > and Delete all old items that you do not need now.
You now have space to add more if needed -

I tend to go along with Nanobyte on mixing an All 32bit system with one 64bit driver.

This is usually done in reverse and the process is called WOW (Windows On Windows)
(Basically) Here all of the 64bit programs have access to 32bit drivers if needed
If the system can handle it just add a bit more RAM (make it about 4G total) and leave it there.

Minor edit only -

Edited by noknojon, 11 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#7 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanx again Nano and nok,

Ok, i cleared out my image pasting cache which was limited to 512kb. anyway, my chip and gpu are 64 bit capable but with the shameful xp-32 loaded. So the reseller insists on 64 bit os, i looked up the Publisher Dassault workstation specs and xp32 bit is cool with them but with other baggage that goes along with it (high performance workstation GPU like nvidia quadro and multi-core processors etc.). the url is http://a2.media.3ds.com/fileadmin/SUPPORT/HTML/Certifications/Windows_XP_32-bit.html#Dell. sorry, i haven't figured out the hotlink function yet that so many BC users deploy with ease. I won't be using the app for anything other than training and the training manual doesn't look like anything that would require a hemi, mostly just simple geometry...I will update the thread if more pertinent info surfaces and to illustrate the install success/failure. thanx again.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hi and just FYI -
BBCode is the secret you are looking for - Read and join their forum for help -
BBCode is short for Bulletin Board Code. It is used as a way for formatting posts made on message boards, blogs and more.

You will see the tabs above your posts that already have B (bold) - I (italic) - U (underline - S (strikethrough) etc as they are already included as BBCode here
In my early days there were very few added codes on boards, so you did them manually [b ] and [/b ] (but you don't leave the gap [b] <<
A url link like yours is here >> Here

Just a bit of help. B) There is a tutorial here, but I could not find it quickly -

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I read their system spec more carefully. It's only Win7 that you have to have 64-bit, and no Win8 support. Perhaps the software will install a 32-bit version. Having looked at the link you posted, it's only workstation graphics that they approve and some options are fussy about which drivers work. I don't know whether that would be an issue. It was when I tried to install Maya and was rejected; a similar list of workstation graphics. Let us know how you get on.

#10 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,062 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

All is well, i bit the budget and invested in a win7 64 bit machine, it is an i-7 950 on a sabertooth x58 with an Ultra 750 watt 45A 12v rail and 16gb RAM and an old faithful 9800gt for $200 USD. I then acquired  the student edition of the software (99 USD) and have it loaded, licensed and functional. thanks again contributors nok and nan.  I have been wanting this setup in the worst way for almost a year. One step at a time i nailed it home. i feel kind of retarded that it took this long. 

That 9800gt is going to be installed in my xp32 machine as soon as i haul in a gtx 280 for my 64bit.

Edited by synergy513, 26 November 2013 - 09:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users