Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Understanding Cookies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

For Me, . . I am trying to imagine what a cookies is, I mean hearing about them so much, gives me the impression that I know all about them. But I don't, I am now thinking, they gave it the right name, sort of like the penny Candies you could buy when you passed the Candy store on the way home from school, . .

ahh they were the days, those after the summer autumn days, when the Horse Chestnut trees would drop the thorny husked jewels, of shiny mahogany Horse Chestnuts and the autumn leaves left you in a wonderland of colors and smells, . .

OH ! wait Yes Cookies, Ahhhh ! yeah what the DELL are these ?? Bits of binary-magnetic impulses stored in the positive-negative PC reactor receptor,drawing them into my PC like a blotter across an airway full of frequency wave vibrations and emissions ? some kind of PUC or UPC or some PCU Central Power Unit on a Mothersboard Thing ?

I am reading "Does a Cookie Slow Down a Computer?" because that seems important to me, and my Computer technical lessons are somewhat limited to my Intelligence Quota, which allows me to have a graphic art capability, although limited but more adept than the Challenges a computer fix it tech might possess.

But to, "cut to the chase", . Am I looking for a software technology, that will loose the cookie after I close the site ? and keep the ones that are from sites listed on my favorite list ?

Well anyway, they sure gave it the right name !

Here have a cookie.Posted Image

Edited by Jove, 10 January 2013 - 11:58 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

And no, they do not slow down your system.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

I beg your pardon, . .
Are we on the same page ?

Too Many Cookies
Once the list of cookies gets too long, browsing performance slows down because, for each site visited, the computer has to scan the list of cookies to see if there's one (or more) for the requested site. The longer the list, the longer it takes to find the answer.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5038350_cookie-slow-down-computer.html

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups or install malware and they cannot erase or read information from a computer.

Cookies cannot be used to run code (run programs) or to deliver viruses to your computer.

MS Article ID: 60971 - Description of Cookies
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not exactly a tutorial, but more of an overview with additional reading links: Cookies - A Complete Guide

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users