Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install new USB devices

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BurritoBoy

BurritoBoy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

My hardware: Intel DH55TC I3
My OS: xp64 Pro -- SP2
My USB devices (current): C3 network adapter; Logitech mouse; Yeti mic; WD external drive; couple off brand pen drives

Problem:
I am having a problem connecting any new USB devices after my initial setup. I get a found new hardware, but microsoft won't finish loading the driver - even if it initially recognizes the device.

Current attempt:
I recently purchased the "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 7000" and the "found new hardware" won't load the driver on my xp64 system. It recognizes the transceiver, but finishes with "can't install this hardware."

This is a Microsoft OS and Microsoft product! How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Check the system requirements for the keyboard. Install service pack 3 and all subsequent updates from Microsoft.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Go to Device Manager...scroll down to USB Controllers...click plus sign to reveal detailed items.

Uninstall each item reflecting "controller" in the description, one by one.

Reboot the system after last item is uninstalled.

Louis

#4 BurritoBoy

BurritoBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

@Mainer21

Would that be the Windows 2003 Server SP3? I can't seem to locate anything that says xp64 SP3. And it's a Microsoft keyboard; that would just be terrible if Microsoft didn't support one of their own. However! This problem is with other devices also. I read a while back - and can't find it any more - that the service pack or upgrade does something to the registry permissions. I can't quite remember now...either way, if I do a fresh install the devices are initially recognized, until I do all the updates and all. Then I can't add any other USB device after.

Edited by BurritoBoy, 10 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#5 BurritoBoy

BurritoBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

@hamluis

Just un-installed the usb controllers. Now, I'm unable to re-install the drivers that once worked (using laptop to respond). So, that computer, now, has no access to the Internet. So, I'm thinking that the particular hardware component is not the issue?! Just need to found out why the OS stops allowing for new devices after updates and so on.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Your last post...doesn't make sense to me.

Do your USB devices now work properly or not?

USB controllers have nothing to do with Internet connectivity unless you are using a connectivity device with USB connection.

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please follow instructions provided at Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#7 BurritoBoy

BurritoBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

@Moderator

Yes! My desktop computer has a wireless USB network adapter. When I do a fresh install and connect all my usb devices they are recognized, however, after installing all the updates and service packs, I'm unable to add additional usb devices. Plus as posted above, if I remove the controllers, I lose all devices and can't reconnect.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the updates or service pack...don't rightly know...

P.S: After, removing the controllers, I am pretty much screwed; seeing that the only way I can copy anything is through a USB device (MinitoolBox). So, unless I can fix the USB problem through settings or xp disk, I'M looking at another fresh install.

Edited by BurritoBoy, 10 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

If the devices are recognized upon attachment...there is nothing wrong with the USB controllers.

If a given device is not plug-and-play and requires the installation of drivers provided by the device manufacturer...then those drivers have to be installed before the device will function properly. Your wireless modem, your printer, and all such devices...may simply need to have the drivers reinstalled.

If reinstalling the device drivers does not help...then, I'm at a loss for figuring out what might be wrong...but I would suspect a hardware problem (possibly motherboard), if I had to guess.

Louis

#9 BurritoBoy

BurritoBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

@hamluis

Well...I decided to re-install windows. And now, the keyboard works. I will now attach all my USB devices so that they are initially recognized. After that, I will update and install the Service Packs and all the rest. I know this will all work; I just don't know where in the installation process I lose the ability to add different usb devices. I would do a step by step check, but just don't have that much time - a lot going on right at the moment.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Well...problem eliminated, for the time being, if not solved.

I can live with that :).

Louis

#11 BurritoBoy

BurritoBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

@hamluis

I'm not totally sure if this was the problem, but I believe it might have been the wireless network adapter I was using. After the install I started to connect my USB devices one by one. Once I installed my network adapter (C3) I couldn't connect anything else. I didn't notice this the first times because I originally started with a wired network.

When the problem occurred this time, I noticed it and tried a different usb wireless adapter (D-Link). This one didn't seem to interfere with any of the other devices. I hope this was the problem, but won't know until tomorrow -- doing the updates now.

stay tuned -- will close this one out tomorrow -- I hope...

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Well...I do know that at least some modems that are USB/ethenet...require removal of the drivers when switching from wired to USB or USB to wired. Just a random thought.

In any case, if you continue to have problems...just add a post to this thread :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2013 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users