Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card replacement for a beginner

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 I C Weiner

I C Weiner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hi, a few months ago my desktop stopped working out of the blue and I did not pay much attention to it since I use my laptop mostly. But now I need a home computer for my parents and was looking to fix my desktop.

Problem: When the desktop is turned on, nothing loads on the screen but the machine fans and motherboard are all going. Instead the computer makes 3 beeps (1 long 2 short). I looked the beep code up for this and the description was: "Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information"

So I believe the video card is burnt out? The video card is built into the motherboard, so how would I go about replacing it? I have attached a photo of the interior of the desktop.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. IF you need anything more from me, please let me know!

Thanks!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R4pth

R4pth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

If it is an integrated card, and you have another PCI slot, you would only have to plug in a new card into the open PCI slot, and switch the new card to your primary... The other one would just simply quit being used. :P

#3 I C Weiner

I C Weiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Is it that easy? How do I switch it to my primary? + do you also think its the video card problem?

Thanks for the fast reply!

#4 R4pth

R4pth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

If you have ever changed out RAM before, its the same. Just snapping something in and out... As if its a video problem, I am not sure... But considering its an inter grated card, I can't really think of anything you could do to troubleshoot, like make sure the card is inserted properly... Besides, that computer looks a little old, :P might be a good idea to just upgrade.

But if you do decide to upgrade, be sure your Power Supply Unit can support the new graphics card.

#5 I C Weiner

I C Weiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

haha I was thinking about upgrading but thought I'd give fixing it a try first since my parents will be using it and just for MS word + emailing + skype etc... so they don't need anything fancy. Any advice on how to pick a proper graphics card that will work with this beauty? I might just pick up a new card tomorrow and give it a shot, if not I will return it and get a new PC!

#6 R4pth

R4pth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

You could probably buy a VERY cheap graphics card if you don't really plan on using it for anything other than normal computing needs... I am not sure if you are aware, but you can visit...

http://www.newegg.com/Video-Cards-Video-Devices/Category/ID-38

Can probably find one for around fifty dollars. But yea, considering the card is integrated, if its not working, I am not sure what you can really try with it.

#7 I C Weiner

I C Weiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Found the problem!! Someone told me to test the ram as the beep codes for my specific motherboard were different. So I removed the ram one by one and found the broken one and it worked!! Thanks for all your help though!

#8 Golono

Golono

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Found the problem!! Someone told me to test the ram as the beep codes for my specific motherboard were different. So I removed the ram one by one and found the broken one and it worked!! Thanks for all your help though!

When you run in to a hardware problem, it is always best to find ways to run several tests. Never jump to conclusions. Luckily, someone gave you good advice. Had it not been for that, you would have wasted money on a new graphics card. Anyway, RAM modules are one of the cheapest and easiest things to replace in a computer. If you are going to replace the modules yourself, make sure that you get a replacement that is compatible with the motherboard.

#9 I C Weiner

I C Weiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Thanks! I looked on crucial.com for ram specific to my computer and it says use pc2700 but the same person who told me to check the ram says to use pc3200. Do you know the difference?

#10 Golono

Golono

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks! I looked on crucial.com for ram specific to my computer and it says use pc2700 but the same person who told me to check the ram says to use pc3200. Do you know the difference?

In simple terms, pc3200 is faster than pc2700. Generally, if your motherboard only supports pc2700, then inserting anything higher will just cause the motherboard to lower the speeds down to what it supports. However, some motherboards could have compatibility issues if you insert anything other than what it requests. I would be able to better guide you if you could provide your computer's model number.

#11 I C Weiner

I C Weiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Umm i believe the model # is ASUS P4P800-VM (motherboard #)

#12 Golono

Golono

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Umm i believe the model # is ASUS P4P800-VM (motherboard #)

According to the manufactures specifications, the motherboard does support both PC3200 and PC2700. Just make sure that you get no more than 4 GB and that the DIMMs are 184-pin DIMM Sockets. Also, just wanted to say that there is not much of a difference in speed from the PC2700 to the PC3200. So if the price difference is large between the two, don't bother with the PC3200.

Edited by Golono, 13 January 2013 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users