Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing/Installing Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dream1

Dream1

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

How do I make sure the power supply I want to remove no longer contains any electricity so I donít electrocute myself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Unplug it and hit the power switch on the PC for 20 secs

#3 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

What does that do? Is that a function every computer does the same?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hi, What that does is use up any stored electricity that may still be in the power supply. It helps protect the rest of the computer too.

Normally there should also not be any voltage higher than 12 volts on the power supply outputs.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Thank you. Is there anything I need to do in terms of handling or storing the power supply?

#6 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Not really, just keep it in a safe dry place, best practice is to make sure you are grounded with a static discharge strap b4 touching any components in your PC.
Mashing the power button will discharge any electricity stored in capacitors in the system, if you are observant you will see some of the led's come on briefly and go out when you press it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users