Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shut down during driver loading

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cpotter

cpotter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Self built desktop with Windows XP Pro. Has been working without problem. No recent hardware / driver changes.

Turned computer on today. BIOS will POST. But computer abruptly turns off during driver loading. Happens every time after cold / warm reboot. Have tried standard mode, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, and last known good configuration. Same result. When trying "safe mode with command prompt" can see drivers quickly loading one by one and then immediate shut off. Never makes it to the "Windows XP" logo.

Got out the windows XP disc. Able to get to c:\Windows with disk via Recovery Console. Have never used Recovery Console, however.

Also used Windows XP disc and tried to "Repair Windows". This progressed normally. At end of "repair", Windows rebooted. Same above immediate shut down occurred.

I am now at a loss. Don't know if this is due to a hardware failure or problem with Windows. Don't have a surplus of components lying around to test hardware. Can anyone recommend any further troubleshooting?

Feel free to move this to another topic / forum if more appropriate elsewhere. Thanks in advance for the help. Chad

Edited by hamluis, 09 January 2013 - 09:58 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Two current issues:

1) Determine hardware problem. Opened computer today. Removed / tested memory sticks. Doesn't appear that memory is the problem. After reinstalling memory, received an error at first reboot. Error details - "System now in safe-mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS setup." Then hit F1 to continue. Computer again shut off. 2nd and subsequent reboots - same power down. But now no error messages. Any way to further test hardware?

2) Data removal. Via Windows Recovery console - can only get to C:\windows. Need some data on Windows desktop. Is there any way to get to a command prompt and dump data to USB drive? Tried using "Bart's Preinstalled Environment" ( http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ ); however, get same shut down during loading of Bart Environment. Any way to get to command prompt with full access to c:\ ?

Thanks.

#3 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Don't know if it's heat related. However - 2 case, PSU, and CPU fans all work.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

You posted that you had used the installation disc, so the computer boots from the disc?

If this is the case then this would be a software problem as the hardware necessary to boot is working.

How did you do the repair installation?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Able to get to c:\Windows with disk via Recovery Console. Have never used Recovery Console, however.

If you need instructions you can read them at the Microsoft Support web site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

You posted that you had used the installation disc, so the computer boots from the disc?

I have Windows XP Pro installation disc. Can boot from this disc. From this disc I can:

1) Attempt Windows repair. I did this. Twice. Both times, didn't work at reboot.

2) Go to recovery console. I can get here, but very limited functionality (due to design of recovery console). Have limitied command prompt commands. Only have access to c:\windows

How did you do the repair installation?

Via Windows XP Pro disc. When I run this, Windows attemepts to repair and then reboots. At time of reboot, same problem.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

No. Safe mode, safe mode with commond prompt, and "last known configuration" don't work.
]

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

What is the make of your hdd?

Edited by dc3, 14 January 2013 - 06:35 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

What is the make of your hdd?

Seagate barracuda.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Please download Seagate's diagnostic tool Seatools for Windows.

Once you click on "I Accept" the button for the download will appear.

There is a good tutorial for this diagnostic tool which can be found here.

Edited by dc3, 15 January 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#9 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Please download Seagate's diagnostic tool Seatools for Windows.

Once you click on "I Accept" the button for the download will appear.

There is a good tutorial for this diagnostic tool which can be found here.

I can't get to Windows GUI. So, can't use Seatools for Windows.

Attempted to run Seatools for DOS via "Ultimate Boot CD". However when UBCD tries to load, get immediate computer shut off. So, UBCD won't work.

I was able to run Seatools for DOS (from Seagate Website, not UBCD). Drive seems to be working fine. Short and long tests passed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users