Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:58 PM

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here is my problem.

Upon pushing the power button to my system two things happen. The green power light comes on (normal) and the orange HD read light comes on and stays steadily lit(unusual and bad.) that is all that happens no beeps or sounds (other than the fan) and no monitor output. i am uncertain whether the keyboard gets me into the bios or not since i am running blind. i am stuck on what to do since i know almost nothing about bios startup etc, and i cant even get a picture on the monitor.

my specs are a P4 2.8, running XP home with 512 of RAM.

the only thing i remember doing before i did my shutdown was telling the power management to be "always on" so i think that might have pissed off the bios or something.

thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:02 AM

Its kind of a long explanation, Gothmog, and instead of an easy answer or another question for you (since you certainly explained the problem well) I thought you might want to read up on what happens when you turn the power on. Quite a few things, actually. Doing that can make it so only a couple more things need to be done, really.
  • check back here to see if someone else has an answer.
  • check back here if you find an answer, we'd appreciate hearing about it.
:thumbsup: BTW, it is the right forum.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:14 AM

:thumbsup: to BC

You could have any number of problems, ranging to easy to fix, to an OS (Operating System) error. Try these to see if you get any results:

Make sure that the computer is completely off, and remove all the connections from the back of it, including the keyboard. Take your hand and feel around the case for any unusually hot areas. On the back, there may be a warm spot near the power, but that is normal. While everything is still unplugged, very gently, rotate it in different directions and listen for lose parts. If you hear anything when doing this, then do NOT plug it back in. Post back, and I can walk you through some steps on how to safely open up your case.

If the computer has a floppy drive, you can try to start it up with a boot disk. Windows bootdisks has boot disks for all windows OS.

About the monitor, have you tried a different one? If the light next to the power button does not come on, then it is possible that it is going out.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:48 PM

okay i have read some of that linked thread and am pretty sure the problem is in the "POST" based on this quote:

3. The BIOS performs the power-on self test (POST).
If there are any fatal errors, the boot process stops.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If not, and POST is successful there should be a single short beep.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. The BIOS looks for the video card. In particular, it looks for the video card's built in BIOS program and runs it.

this kinda explains why i didnt hear the beeps i was expecting and got no video.
any suggestions based on this?

i also have already tried unplugging everyting for an hour or two and then reconnecting to maybe clear out some residual garbage. i have booted with all my IDE devices disconnected for the same result and even tried unplugging the keyboard before boot to force that error message.

i had a thought about making some kind of floppy or cd to fix it since it does flash all the read lights when it initializes, but i dont think it will boot from them at that point.

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:59 PM

Based on what you have said, it is likely a BIOS problem. The easiest way that I find to fix it will depend on if your floppy will read at all. Typically, even with some BIOS problems, the floppy will work, but that is not always the case. Is there a way that you can post your motherboard? If you are not sure of it, then an exact make and model number will help (ex: E-machine T2460).

#6 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:28 PM

i dont know what the make of the motherboard is. is it printed somewhere?
it was built by a local comp store in january '03. as i said it has a p4 2.8 so if you know a site that catalogs motherboards i could probably get a good idea of what one it is since that chip was almost the tops when i bought it and would there probably wouldnt be too many mobos before 03 to support it. i looked at the front of the mobo and couldnt find any obvious info. the back is very unaccessable and would require me to take the whole thing apart. the bios chip has a sticker that reads:

AMIBIOS®
© 1999
BV05
0 8 7 7

if that means anything. the rest of the chip is partly obscured by the sticker

#7 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:03 AM

thanks for all your help guys. the problem is fixed since i am now posting from the ailing computer. im not sure exactly what was causing the problem, but i think i fixed it by removing the cables from the board instead of just unplugging the drive. my best guess is that some cable came loose (drive power maybe?) and caused the POST to fail and now its not. i have run diagnostics on memory and HD and the only error i had was in the HD diag testing the file system. Seagates program says this may not mean anything since it is an NTFS and the program doesnt always read them well or something.

#8 electrick2k

electrick2k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:27 PM

Hi there, I have a cpu that has no post, (no first beep at all). I changed the video card, same problem. I cannot get to the set up with delete key, still no video or post. I have changed the ide cables(they were pretty squished), still none, the floppy will not read to boot up. Is it dead?

#9 electrick2k

electrick2k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

Oh yeah, also tried new ram module.

#10 electrick2k

electrick2k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:14 AM

Anyone??

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:52 AM

It sounds like a loose connection, just as Gothmog had.

Have you removed all cables, opened up the case, taken all of the connections off, and re-seated them?

#12 electrick2k

electrick2k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:33 PM

yes, replaced all of the cables, they were squished, took off and put back on all of the power cables, to the mb and hd. power suplly comes up but no first post beep. I the only thing I haven't tried is a pci video card, maybe it's the agp slot. Thanks for your help!

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:16 PM

Have you tried to turn the computer on with the video card in?

From my understanding of POST, it should not have an effect on video cards, but if it does (POST without the video card), then you may have bigger problems.

#14 electrick2k

electrick2k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:50 PM

yep, no post. I'm scrounging around for a pci video card, if it comes up then I know the agp is dead. That's all I can think of. :thumbsup:

#15 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:14 AM

You can just remove your video card, and it will revert to the on-board, without too much trouble.

You can always reinstall it after you computer is back and running again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users