Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jlinkz

Jlinkz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hello, i'm having problems with data recovery if anyone could help.

Basically the hard drive was in a laptop which was dropped. The hard drive started clicking but stoped and appeared to be working.
When the hard drive is inside the laptop it sometimes will get to the windows logo when booting but keeps freezing. Other times it just says boot failed.

I have tried many things to recover the data. I plugged it into my desktop(windows 7) but it says hard drive must be formatted. I have tried some programs that are made to recover data but they have all failed ether freezing up, saying there is no drive, or just giving a lot of errors.

I booted my computer with Linux(mint) and i could see all the files and access them manually but any recovery programs on Linux also failed. I can manually get files off of it and on to the local hard drive but after a few minutes it keep giving an error message that it can not copy file and then freezes and having to restart it. I would have to copy each file individually which would take way to long.

If anyone could help me get these files back thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hi

It's a pretty safe bet that there is some physical damage to the drive. You can send it to a professional recovery service and they can try to get as much as possible from it. The only solution I have for a drive in this condition besides sending it to a professional would be to attempt to make a rescue image of it using ddrescue but from the way you describe things it would probably have to run for days and you mentioned that recovering them individually would take too long so I imagine this would not be an option for your situation either.

If there are a few very important files on there and you are not going to send it to a professional recovery service, I would recommend copying those to another drive before trying anything else.

If you are interested in attempting to make a rescue image of the drive, let me know. Keep in mind that the drive is probably getting worse each time it is powered up and there is no guarantee that a rescue image will complete before the drive goes completely bad.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users