Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Find Server Errors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 buggsie

buggsie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

i have tried virus scans... i cannot dfo system restore since nothing is available to default it to thats before the problem origination. computer was fine friday morning... come back to it friday evening and i cannot access certain sites. i can get to most homepages (ie: msn.com... comcast homepage (local cable)... ) but cannot access my actual email accts. also cannot access like bank acct but i can access the banks homepage. i dont know what else to do. i deleted cookies and files but it did nothing. please help anyone!!! thanks so much

also did reinstall of the cable modem

Edited by buggsie, 27 March 2006 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buggsie

buggsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

also i am running symantec corporate antivirus and i keep getting this message almost daily
Scan type: Realtime Protection Scan
Event: Virus Found!
Virus name: Trojan.Muquest
File: C:\DOCUME~1\mike\LOCALS~1\Temp\sbru20060327215833305.exe
Computer: HOME-9XH89TMQK3
User: mike
Action taken: Quarantine succeeded : Access denied
Date found: Monday, March 27, 2006 9:58:36 PM

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:28 PM

have tried the removal method by Symantec at this link?

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...an.muquest.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 buggsie

buggsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

thanks i will try in morn im beat been working on this all day...

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:41 AM

After following boopme's advice I would recommend following the prepatory guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If you follow the instuctions in the prepatory guide faithfully then this little bugger ought to be removed. However, rarely is a computer infected with only one thing.

If after completing all of the steps in the prepatory guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the prepatory guide.

PREPATORY GUIDE

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 28 March 2006 - 08:43 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

Since you can pinpoint the date the problem began the best thing is to use Windows System Restore to accomplish what it was designed to do - roll back your system to before the problem began.

Click start/ programs (or all programs depending on the menu view you set up in XP), accessories, system tools, system restore.

Double click it and follow the wizard.

After it restores your system follow Albert's advice to make sure you are not infected and if you are, the infection/s are removed.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 March 2006 - 08:55 AM.

#7 buggsie

buggsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:54 AM

ok i did that and still not working

when im in system restore it tells be i can only select those that are in bold and there is nothing befor the originaltion of the problem thats available

Edited by buggsie, 28 March 2006 - 08:57 AM.

#8 buggsie

buggsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:19 AM

i Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.... i also used Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy ... bit defender was done.... and also stinger... firewall active... updates done...hijack done

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

I am curious as to why you didn't have a system restore date from before last Friday.

XP keeps three weeks of restore dates by default.

Did you manually reduce the amount of space allocated to System Restore, or shut it off after Friday, and if you did, why?

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 March 2006 - 01:15 PM.

#10 buggsie

buggsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:23 PM

the only time that the system restore was turned off to my knowledge was when i did it when performing this http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data....muquest.html// i will check with my husband to see if he did that and why if in fact he did. thanks for your continued help

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:03 PM

Well, the experts in the HJT forum will help you eliminate the infection.

If you have any continuing problems after that come back here and we will figure them out for you.

#12 buggsie

buggsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

i did follow hjt... and posted the log... no responses to that yet.

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

i did follow hjt... and posted the log... no responses to that yet.

Well, it looks like you are definitely infected, and it could have come in with something downloaded from Limewire. Please do not make any changes to your computer based on my comments as changes will make your HJT log inaccurate and void.

Also, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

If after your system is deemed clean by a HJT forum expert you continue to have problems, come back in this XP forum and we can help you!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#14 buggsie

buggsie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

i need to know if it would be ok to run mcafee virusscan ... its free with our comcast highspeed... also i would like to remove the symantec corporate. i can do a new log then if need be for hjt... let me know if that will actually rid of the infection or just tell us what we are infected with... thanks in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users