Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

re installing itunes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teagranny

teagranny

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I would like to take itunes off my c drive and reinstall it on my external hard drive to free up space on my c drive. Does anyone know if I will lose my songs if I do this?
thanks

Edited by hamluis, 09 January 2013 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from XP to Audio & Video - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

No you will not lose your songs. But you may lose your library if you don't do it right. How is your music situated right now? Is it all on one drive? Where is the library located?

Most likely in one of these locations

Windows XP
\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.xml

Windows Vista
\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.xml

Windows 7
\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.xml

You can do a search on "library.itl" (without the quotes) to find where your library is. Here are a few tutorials on how to do what you want to do:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

I am not sure what version of Windows you're using but here is more info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#3 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Forgot to mention, once you have iTunes reinstalled, whether you move all your music or not (including the library files) you will want to press and hold down the shift button and then open iTunes. A box will pop up that will allow you to select the library. Select that button and then browse to the directory that contains the library file. Select it, click open and there ya go!

Edited by Dacar92, 10 January 2013 - 06:39 PM.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#4 teagranny

teagranny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thank you dacar I will give this a try. I have windows xp.

#5 teagranny

teagranny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I am confused, aren't the songs in the library? How can I lose the library but not the songs? sorry....

#6 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hi teagranny,

The library is simply a file that iTunes creates. It tells iTunes what songs to display when you open it and browse to Music. It does not affect your actual music files.

Yes the songs are in the library, but the library is simply a collection if titles and tags that iTunes uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users