Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound When I Play A Dvd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chatice

Chatice

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

I downloaded a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDVD, and have viewed a DVD on my PC running Windows XP Home. But on learning that the purchase price was $49.95 for the standard version, I decided to uninstall it, using PowerDVD's native uninstaller instead of Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Since then I have tried to play a DVD using RealPlayer, and while there are images, there is no sound. It's not due to any of the obvious items (volume controls, etc.) I believe that the PowerDVD software may have somehow captured the default of my sound card (Is that the right way to put it?) and so anytime I play a DVD, the sound is absent.

Any suggestions on how I can correct this problem, and regain the sound?

Looking forward to your expert advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

Go to the control panel to folder options and then file types and see what ap the sound files are associated with.

If they have been associated to the non-existant ap, change to the original ap.

#3 Chatice

Chatice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:42 AM

I went to control panel > file types and the ap for DVD Video. I clicked on DVDVideo and then on 'Change icon' and the error message says "Cannot find the file ... Cyberlink/PowerDVD. The other options in the box don't work either.

Seems like I'm locked to the PowerDVD ap, which is no longer there!

What can I do to reset to another ap, say Windows Media Player or Real Player?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

Have you tried opening Real Player and setting the default files for it to run?

Edited by Herk, 28 March 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#5 Chatice

Chatice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Yes, Herk. I have set ALL the file types to use Real Player. The DVD plays only images, but without ANY sound.

I also reinstalled the trial version of Power DVD -- that's the only thing that will play the DVD with both images and sound.

Seems that Power DVD may have commandeered the sound in some way?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

When did you first install this program?

If it is less than three weeks ago use Windows System Restore to reset Windows XP to before you installed it.

programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

The wizard will walk you through it.

If it has been more than three weeks, or if you do not have a restore point from before you installed it, use add/remove programs to uninstall it.

If that doesn't work, uninstall Realplayer, reboot, and then reinstall it and it should place itself as the default player.

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 March 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#7 Chatice

Chatice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi, Enthusiast:

I did exactly as you suggested. Uninstalled RealPlayer, rebooted, then reinstalled RealPlayer.

When I tried to play the DVD by opening My Computer>DVD drive>Play, I got the error message saying that the file does not have an association to perform this action, and to create an association in the Folders Option control panel.

The choices there are not intuitive, and seem too 'advanced' for me. Where do I go from here? I don't want to screw anything up!

Chatice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users