Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh start with monitor issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vthunstrom

vthunstrom

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I formatted and reloaded Windows on my kids pc and I cannot get the monitor right. The colors are very limited and look like when you start in safe mode.
When I open device manager under other devices video controller has the yellow/black question mark. I have tried to find drivers for it with no success. Please help? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

A bit more info about your computer please. Make, model of computer?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 vthunstrom

vthunstrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

It's an older Sony Vaio pentium 4 the monitor is an ACER
Thanks!

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Which MODEL Sony Vaio?? Look on the bottom for a label. Need to narrow it down to locate the correct driver. There are a lot of Sony Vaio computers.

#5 vthunstrom

vthunstrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Oh sorry it is VGC-RA830G

#6 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

All VGC-RA830G Driver[s] here: Sony Vaio VGC-RA830G

In the list under Video [Last Item] nVidia® GeForce™ 6600 Graphics Controller Driver

#7 vthunstrom

vthunstrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I did that and after it downloads the install opens and when I try to go through the steps a window pops up and says Failure to update the driver then has option to hit ok or cancel. If I hit Ok it closes if exits if hit cancel it just repeats the same thing.

#8 vthunstrom

vthunstrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Any ideas how to get around this? It still is "failed to Update"
Thanks

#9 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

You most likely followed the instructions that were provided, but just in case.....

During the installation of this file, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.

Disable any Anti-Virus program you may have running.

Download and Installation Instructions:

Download the NVDVID-00860902-US.EXE file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double click the NVDVID-00860902-US.EXE file to begin the installation.
At the "nVidia® GeForce 6600 Graphics Controller Driver for Microsoft® Windows® XP Setup" box, click "Next".
At the "License Agreement" dialog box, read the agreement, then, if you agree, click "I Agree".
At the "nVidia® GeForce 6600 Graphics Controller Driver" box, click "Finish" to complete the installation, the computer will then restart.

After the computer restarts, the installation of the nVidia GeForce 6600 Graphics controller driver is complete.

If it still fails then.....

Any ideas how to get around this?

Not at the moment. In the interim or until someone else may pop in with a possible solution, you could try Sony Live Help here: Sony Live Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users