Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loop drving me crazy!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HForshey89

HForshey89

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I have recently left my house for 3 days and forgot to shutdown my PC. When I returned first thing I saw was BSOD. I restarted. I went to my logon screen and after typing my password and pressing enter, it reboots. I got it to run in debugging mode but didnt know what I was doing or debugging so I didnt make any changes and checked my facebook. After a shower I encountered another BSOD. I restarted and during boot it said BOOT FROM CD: NO OS, PLEASE INSERT DISC... not exact words but something to that affect. I tried a system restore. I tried debugging mode but it wouldnt load this way this time either. I got into safe mode and thats where I am currently at. I ran the TDSSKiller that I saw in other posts just to be on the safe side and came up clean. I am running XP. Any other information you need you will have to tell me how to find it because i have come pretty computer illterate of the last year. -.-

Thanks ahead of time!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

can you open it up and check your hard drive ribbon.. make sure it's seated in there snug... i would unplug then replug it in then try to boot.
is your cpu fan running ok? is it over heating... maybe check for dust and clean it out. also, maybe your hard drive has gone bad... do you have another hard drive to boot from? or do you own a usb thumb drive - you could try and do a rescue cd from the thumb drive... check all these things

#3 HForshey89

HForshey89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I checked the ribbon and made sure it was secure in all places. Funny thing, when I pushed it to check it on the back of a disc drive that normally I have to use a paperclip to open, it opened. So I pushed again and the drive closed. I don't know if this could be a malfunction causing this or not. Fan is running fine since I've been having the problem, however before it would sound like it was getting ready for take off then it would get real quiet for a min then do it again. It was repetitive until I would reboot. There is a second hardrive but its only 4.2G with 1G free. Can I use it to boot and how do I change it to boot from there if so? I do own a thumb drive but I'm not sure how to go about the rescue CD you've mentioned. The computer was given to me so I didn't get a formatting disc.

When doing the reboot you recommended, I was prompted to do windows updates. I went ahead with that because I read somewhere that being behind can cause such issues. Now I have no connection to the internet. I have a wireless USB antenna. Everything in device manager is enabled. Nothing is showing in network connections what so ever!! I took these steps- internet properties, connections, setup. In the wizard I went-connect to the internet, set up connection manually, connect using broadband that is always on, and got a message saying my broadband should already be configured and ready to use.

So now I am trying to use my cell phone to post on the forum until I atleast get a connection going. -.-

#4 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

does your 2nd drive have windows on it already? i assume since you have 2 drives in there that one is a slave and one is master... you can change the boot order in bios to boot from that 2nd drive (if it has an operating system on it)
as far as not being able to connect to the internet, does your wifi card come with software? i would try and uninstall it then re-install it and see if that works... or go to the device manager and unable/enable to see if that corrects it... probably won't but worth a try.
if you could connect to the internet with another pc and download avg rescue disc and make a rescue disc for that usb thumb drive... then boot from that and see if can get your os running again...
i'm sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in soon with better tips

i assume since you were able to download windows updates that you are no longer getting the "BOOT FROM CD: NO OS, PLEASE INSERT DISC... " message? one thing you can try and do is restore to an earlier date... maybe to a date when everything was working fine.
start - programs - accessories - system tools - system restore

Edited by _mArs_, 09 January 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#5 HForshey89

HForshey89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

2nd drive does not have windows. I use it to store photos and such in case of a crash. I found a file labeled system recovery on the backup drive. The icon is a faded pad lock. When I open it says

Protected by PC Angel
Recovery partition
Warning!

This area of your hard disc (or partition) contains files used for your system recovery.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could prevent any recovery later.

There are other pad locks around the system recovery and they are...
I386
MiniNT
PRELOAD
RECOVERY
RECYCLER
System Restore- this is a full color lock, not faded.
System volume information
UPDGOI

Can I use any of this to recover the system on my other hard drive? If so, how?

Edited by HForshey89, 09 January 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#6 HForshey89

HForshey89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

System restore to Dec 30 corrected it!!! I am booted with everything loaded, internet working in normal mode!!!!!!! Thank you soooo much, dude! Your my HERO!!!

#7 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

good job! good luck with your pc

#8 HForshey89

HForshey89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I'm pulling my hair out right now. I shut down my computer before leaving today. Entered password to logon to windows and guess what??? BOOT LOOP. Back to safe mode only. I tried a system restore with no luck. had to use Dec 31st because the 30th that I restored to last night is no longer available. I am attempting a restore to the 1st now. :'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users