Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Windows 8 From A Flash Drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mbrac3

mbrac3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Note: Everything is being done in UEFI mode, and it is staying that way. Secure boot is off.

This is a very weird issue. I have a laptop at work that the client was restoring, while not plugged in, and you guessed it, it died. Now there is no information on the drive. My job is to restore it.

All partitions were lost, so there is no way to use Windows 8 refresh or reset feature. Next I thought I'd try booting off my Windows 8 stick and just install it via that.
This did not work. I keep getting a bcd error in /efi/microsoft/boot/BCD. It is a bootloader error when trying to boot the Windows 8 installation from the flash drive.

I thought it may be that the Windows 8 installation is corrupt. So I took it home and tried it on my computer.. and the booting of Windows 8 is fine.
So I have no clue what is going on, I reflashed my flash drive many times with 10 different Windows 8 Pro isos... a few being used more than once. One system builder, one retail, one oem, and one rtm.

I need help. I have no clue what is going on.

Edited by mbrac3, 08 January 2013 - 06:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users