Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Wireless Router Disconnects Frequently

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Christian Baligad

Christian Baligad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

I have a Netgear WGT624v2 a 108 Mbps wireless router.

The router is set up in the attic for a good brodcasting range. Where I do most of my surfing from, I am about 30-50 ft from the router. I have a laptop and connect via a Netgear card.

I have no problems receiving email but when i browse a few certain sites I tend to get disconnected from them. I browse Mammoth Mountain website (the cams and other stuff too), Surfline (webcams, weather, etc) and I play online poker.

While I'm watching a cam for example, I loose the wireless connectivity. When I'm playing poker, I get disconnected and have to start over.

Has anyone else here run into this sort of interference and what you did to solve it, it would be much helpful.

It's driving me crazy!

Thanks,

Christian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YATZEE!

YATZEE!

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

Thats Funny...

I recently upgraded to the same router because of that issue. Mine is a "V3" though. I am not sure if that means a whole lot.

The only advice I can offer you is that you may be transmitting or receiving too close to a cordless phone. Most cordless phones now-a-days have the same 2.4 gigahertz as Wireless routers and cards do. When in too close proximity of eachother you can have these undesired effects you are speaking of.

Sorry, thats the best I got. You're talking to a newbie network wain-be. :thumbsup:

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

first bit of advice would be to make your ip static, that has helped many wirelewss users during small signalk losses.
you could consider changing your MTU size, depending on your ISP connection type.
microwaves,ceramic tiles,satelite, and stacks of paper also interfere with wireless
another idea, is to change your channel on your router
do you use wep? wep slows your transmission down a bit, for it has to add a key to each packet transmitted. also slioghtly reduces your area. 50 feet for your router is a fair distance away as well. especially since you dont have line of sight. try these out , let us know if we can help mo.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:52 PM

I am just putting a guess here but you might want to install a repeater to get a better signal all threwout your house...

Here is a link to a how-to video by CNET
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11334_7-6271405-1.html?tag=nav

BTW This is an excellent option for people that have there router set up in the basement and want to use the internet on the second story or people with two storey house that want to get intenet from there second story down to the basement. Best place to put it would be on the first floor...

Edited by Klinkaroo, 01 April 2006 - 12:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users