Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to rebuild a Hard Drive HELP PLEASE!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Donny6977

Donny6977

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ok, i have a problem, was getting some pictures off of a old hard drive for my sister, and when i pluged it into my pc, my pc would not power on, so i unplugged the hard drive and the pc powered up fine. So then i went to plan B and tried to use my sata/ide to usb to try and access the files. When i plugged the power in (from the adapter) the hard drive started to smoke, so i quickly unplugged it. My thought was if i bought the exact same hard drive (seagate barracuda 100gb IDE), if it was possible to exchange parts from one another to rebuild the broken hard drive. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Are you suggesting that you want to open the broken one and replace its parts?

Given that the harddrive was smoking (and, thus, that something was smoldering inside), there's a good chance that (1) the harddrive may no longer work at all (of course), and (2) the data may very well be corrupted or at least inaccessible.

If you are thinking about taking parts from the new harddrive and putting them in the old, that's a terrible idea. Why? Because it would require you to open the case of the new harddrive. Harddrives are quite sensitive. Exposure to air can have severe effects on the internal components.

If you still want to get the data off the harddrive, the only option I can think of would be to contact a business that specializes in data recovery. They would have the expertise and equipment needed to salvage your data.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi

I'm afraid that you will need to send the drive to a facility with the proper environment and tools to recover the data from that drive now. Seagate offers that service and they are who I usually recommend for their drives.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users