Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Adapter problem?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 using Windows Vista that I bought in July 2007. I have been trying to make it work faster. I recently added 2 gig of memory giving it 4 gig total. I am using IE 9.

My current problem is the internet just isn’t working right. It is slow, choppy at times or doesn’t load all items on a page. If it doesn’t load a page sometimes I click on the stop X, followed by refresh and the page pops right up. Sometimes if I don’t get a complete page a refresh will fix it. It is just a pain to work with.

There is an icon which I think is called Network Connectivity in the right corner of the task bar. It is two small blue screens. It keeps changing from a red x, an exclamation point, and three blue balls or nothing. If I rest on the icon it flashes the status of the network:
Red X – You are not currently connected to any networks
Blue Balls – Access: Local and Internet
Exclamation Point – Limited Connectivity
Just two screens – Access: Local Only

I called my internet provider. They said to call Dell to get help uninstalling my Ethernet Adatper. I called Dell but since it was out of warranty and I chose to try it myself. I uninstalled the Intel 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection in my devices. I scanned for hardware changes and it reinstalled it. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but there was no change.

I hope you can help me with this. Also as we are working on this if there is anything you see that I could do to speed up the PC let me know.

I am not sure this is the right forum to post this to but this does not strike me as a malware problem. It is working just working poorly.

Thanks
Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

FWIW: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

If the incoming line is a coax cable make sure that the connector at the modem is screwed on firmly.

Edited by dc3, 12 January 2013 - 10:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I did clean the inside of my PC. It had been a while since I cleaned it but wasn't all that bad.

As I was reading through various documents it occurred to me I should add some things to the description of my problem. I am running Vista SP2, and Free AVG and Free Zone Alarm.

I ran Windows Defender. I had turned it off so to not compete with AVG. But I updated it and ran a full scan. It found three medium and low threats:
SoftwareBundler:Win32/KaZaA
Adware:Win32/Altnet
Adware:Win32/WhenU.F

No threats have been found by AVG in recent scans. Before I attempted to "Take Action" in Windows Defender I ran Spybot S&D. It did not find any threats.

I attempted to Remove All the threats Windows Defender found but the taking actions bar just kept running for about a half hour. It didn't seem to be working. I don't think these are related to my problem so I just stopped it.

The PC does not seem to be as bad as it was. It is almost running acceptably slow. But there are still two things, since I have this case open that I would your ideas on.

One is sometimes when I click on a link I get the error page Webpage cannot be displayed. I click on the refresh arrow and the page appears immediately.

The second is I did notice when I was downloading the definitions for Windows Defender, the download was interrupted a number of times and had to be "restarted". This is typical of the description in the previous entry that it was not running smoothly. When I restarted it would pick up the download where it left off. When it was interrupted, the two screens icon, that I mentioned in my previous entry, in the lower right part of the task bar had a red x on it. I think my problem is there is something not working right that causes internet connection to be interrupted.

After cleaning my PC I worked my way through the rest of the Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware document. I focused on the If you're using Vista or Internet Explorer 7 section.

Why is my Internet connection so slow?
It mentioned IE7 and 8.
I am using IE9 but I read it anyway. I saw the line "The problem is compounded when there are multiple spyware programs running at the same time. If the problem is severe enough, you can lose connectivity altogether." I think I am only running AVG and Zone Alarm. Is there a way to find out for sure?
Browser add-ons - I try not to run any. The ones that are enabled are Shockwave Flash Object, Microsoft Silverlight (Do I really need it? What is it for?) and Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper.

Windows Vista - My Internet connection is slow.
I clear my Cache regularly. I did not reset my browser settings because of the line - Only reset them if the browser is in an unusable state. Mine isn't that bad.

Tuning IE7 for Better Performance
This document is for IE7 but I did find I have SmartScreen filtering on. I left it on
RSS Feeds - I turned off Turn on feed reading view and Turn on in page Web Slice discovery. I am not sure what these are but to my knowledge I don't use RSS feeds.
ClearType - Couldn't find any entry on advanced tab
Disabling the SSVHelper Class plugin - I found the addon mentioned above Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper. It is enabled and I left it that way.
IE7 max connections tool - I didn't look at that

(How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7) Is Internet Explorer slow? 5 things to try
Seems to be more related to IE9
Reset Internet Explorer settings - if you think I should try it I will. I have the current settings saved.

I ran CCleaner. Also cleaned the registry

I ran CHKDSK. I didn't sit and watch it but the last time I looked at it, it looked okay - nothing disturbing. Does it create a log?

I checked device manager. There were no problem entries. I did not update any drivers.

I looked at DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices in Windows written 12/4/2001. I saw DMA was enabled where available.

I didn't do system file checker.

I was surprised to find out I defrag my drive every week. That is probably too often. I didn't run the pagefile defragger.

Vista system services - About last Aug. I tried to tune my system by turning off some services. I inadvertently turned them all off. I used this Black Viper list to get the right ones turned back on. I reviewed the list again. The services matched the Home Basic Column. There are additional services on my system from other applications that have been installed. I wonder if they need to be.

Indexing is enabled on my C drive. I left it that way. I saw Windows Search in the list of services. Is this the right service? I left it Automatic Start.

What is ctfmon.exe And Why Is It Running?
I am running MS Office Home and Student 2007. I did not find any advanced customization called Alternative User Input.
My Text Services and Input Languages General tab looked like the one in the document. There was nothing to remove.
ctfmon was not in my Startup. While I was there I turned off Windows Defender since I am using Zone Alarm and AVG.
I skipped Step 4 in this document. I don't think I need it.

How to turn off the speech recognition and handwriting recognition features in Office XP
This document led me to look in regedit. There is no ctfmon entry there. I skipped the rest of the document.

Disable Machine Debug Manager - Fix Runtime Errors in Internet Explorer
Read this document but did not do anything with it.

At this point I started looking at the programs in Startup. I saw the warning about using msconfig to stop programs in startup. In msconfig I checked Windows Defender to put it back the way it was before. I downloaded Codestuff Starter and rebooted. I unchecked Macrovision FLEXnet Connect (2 entries) and Windows Defender. Apple Push and iTunes are in the startup. I'm not sure if I need them. I sync my iPad about once a quarter. I unchecked OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.ink although I am not sure if I need it. I closed Starter and rebooted.

I forgot I wanted to disable Digital Line Connect. Opened Starter, unchecked it, closed it. I noticed as I am switching from window to window it is much crisper. It switches without hesitation.

I disabled TkBellExe using Starter.

Disable Visual Effects to improve performance.
I like the way it looks - I left the settings.

Disable the Windows DNS Client Service
I did not disable the DNS Client Service

Adding more RAM
I added 2 gig for a total of 4 gig a few months back and did not get the performance increase I was hoping for. No measurements as such - just didn't seem to work much different. That is kind of why I am looking at other things here.

Vista Features Explained: Performance and Vista Features Explained: SuperFetch
Sent me to a link about buying Windows 8 for $40. That seems like a good price. Is it something I could consider?

Tips to boost Vista performance
I like the way it currently looks...
Performance Monitor - I know it is there but would need help identifying what to look at.
I have wondered if my page file is set efficiently. I see a lot of page faults when I look at task manager. It is set to Automatically manage pagefile size for all drives. Min allowed 16mb, Recommended 4987mb, Currently Allocated 3625mb.

Create a new Restore Point
I should have probably created a new Restore Point before I made all these changes. I will after I am satisfied with how it is working.

I must say I have been using the PC to read my Gmail and make all these changes to the PC. It does seem to be displaying the images better and faster.

I appreciate everyone’s help on this. To Arachibutyrophobia's response - I am using a phone company modem so it is a phones wire not a coax. If it helps to know - I am using a Westell VersaLink Model 327W modem.

There is a lot here but I created this log for myself as I was making changes to my PC so if something goes wrong or is not working right I might be able to see what I did. For any one that reads it, if there is anything I could do differently or better I would appreciate the response.

I am still getting those changing network connectivity icons that I first described in my previous entry.

Thanks
Don

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I am running Vista SP2, and Free AVG and Free Zone Alarm.

You should only have one anti virus running, running more than one can cause system instability and false positives in scans.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I have been running Zone Alarm and AVG for a lot of years. Back when I started using them, AVG was for anti-virus and ZA was for my firewall. You have forced me to really look at the products. I see they both do both now.

Which do you think I should use? Can I leave them installed and just not start one at startup?

I have also seen recent articles that mention other products that are liked better so I wouldn't be opposed to moving to something else at some time.

Thanks for your response
Don

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I suspect that if you ask three different members you will get three different answers to what AV to use. Of the free ones I like avast.

#8 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

I am still having the problem of the network icon constantly
changing statuses. 

Not wanting to mess with my Anti-virus and Firewall software
right now I disabled the Antivirus in ZoneAlarm (using only the firewall) and
am not using the firewall in AVG.

I found the driver I was using for my Network Connection Intel®
82562V-2 10/100 is the one that was delivered I believe.  It had a 2007 date on it.  I downloaded a new PROWin32.exe from the
Intel site and installed a new driver. 

This driver had some tests with it.  I am not sure what they are testing but
decided to run them.  On the tab Link
Speed, I chose Diagnostics it had three things I could test.  I tested the Cable, Connection and
Hardware.  It passed all tests. 

I started my PC in Safe Mode with Networking and had the same
problem. 

I attempted to disable the AVG and ZoneAlarm in the startup
using Starter but it would not let me disable ZoneAlarm.  It gave me the message “Cannot disable ZoneAlarm.  It is very likely you do not have enough access
permissions. I had selected the option to Run as Administrator.

Can anyone think of anything else I can try?  I appreciate your help.  Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.

Thanks

Don

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Are you connected by wired? If yes, try using another LAN cable or change to another router port or directly connect by ISP modem to check on the difference.

Tekken

#10 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Sorry I missed this response. 

I have tried what you suggested.  I have a modem from the phone company that is that is combination modem and wireless/wired router.  It takes the phone line in and has four ports on the back for wired connections and also provides my wireless signal. 

I hooked a different wire from a different port to a laptop that I have and made sure it was using the wire signal, not the wireless signal.  It worked fine.  I them took that wire, still connected to a different port, put it in the back of the desktop I am using and still got the same problem I have been having.  In fact it seemed to work worse.  I should mention the laptop was running XP, where as I am running Vista on the desktop.  I don't think the different OS makes a difference.  Just thought I would mention it. 

The cable I used for the test was longer than the one I normally use with the desktop, I think it is 10 feet vs about 6 feet.  I have switched back to my original cable and port. 

From this I concluded the problem is not with the signal the phone company is giving me, nor is it the signal coming out of the modem.  It has to be something that is not working right on the desktop.

Thanks for your help on this.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Don

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

On the back of the desktop where the Ethernet port is located, there is usually an orange light signifying that you are connected to the internet. Since the problem is intermittent on slow, no connectivity, position the back of the desktop sideways so you can monitor the ethernet light is not turning off during the problem occurs. Its either the ethernet card port to the LAN cable is not seating the connection properly anymore and needs replacement.

Tekken

#12 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

I am sorry again.  I didn't see this message until just now.  I don't think I am getting the email confirmation like I used to. 

So I didn't look at the light like you suggested. 

I decided I probably had a bad ethernet connection.  So, not wanting to mess with this any more, I decided to order new network adapter card.  I installed it today and everything is working great - just like it used to.

Thanks for all your help.  Do I need to do anything to close this thread?

Don

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thank you for letting us know that a bad network card replacement solved your issue. No need to close the thread. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users