Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Laptop Slow Boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi.
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium [SP2] on a Sony Vaio laptop.
For the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing slow boot times. It takes approx 5 minutes to get to a useable state/desktop.
The laptop starts as normal, takes about 1 minute to get to the windows icon, then it hangs on a black screen, then I see the welcome screen followed by another black screen that hangs for about 2 minutes.
The mouse/pointer is active during the black screen moments. Then once the desktop finally appears it takes about another minute or two for my taskbar icons to appear and be functional.

I've opened msconfig and my only startup program is avira antivirus, which was running on startup previously when the laptop was booting normally.
I have also tried doing a 'clean boot' with nothing selected and the problem still occurs.
I booted in Safe Mode and it appeared to start normally.
I tried booting without any external devices connected, made no difference.
I've run various scans, malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Defender, and also checked 'Autoruns', to no avail.
(I've also opened the Boot tab in system config and changed the timeout to 3 seconds instead of 30.)
Finally, I have tried to run SFC.exe [ sfc / scannow ] but it just flashes up for a split-second then vanishes!

I'm not really sure what more I can do now, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

(I should add: once the laptop is up and running it is working perfectly fine)

Update: I ran driverscanner and replaced/updated all my existing drivers which appears to have eliminated the 'black screen' issues on startup, however, it still seems like it's taking a long time to get to a 'workable' dekstop, so any advice on other things I could try to speed up the whole process would be helpful.

Edited by Chris Weeks, 08 January 2013 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

FWIW: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users