Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drive showing raw data after removal without ejecting

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 knedge

knedge

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I removed my 1TB external GoFlex hard-disk from my win 8 PC without safely ejecting it.
On reconnection, the system did a hard-disk scan to fix problems with the hard drive and since then the hard drive is not accessible.
There is more than 750 GB of data on the drive and I am not able to recover it.
I tried the PartedMagic way seem to have lost my way inbetween.
I have also tried to use the EASEUS data recovery wizard but it just seems to go on and on and on...still shows 65 hours remaining!
If somebody could guide me step-by-step, so that we could arrive at a finality wrt whether the disk can be made usable and if not, whether data could be recovered out of it- that would be a genuine help indeed.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi

How far did you get with the PartedMagic way?

Here is my blog post on it...
http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

Let me know what was the last step you successfully got to.

James

#3 knedge

knedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hi James, first I should confess that the very reason I registered on this forum is because I have read your previous replies to similar problems faced by other users. Kudos to you for never losing patience and replying in detail to all queries.
While I was using PartedMagic, I got a screen suggesting a possible error in the disc geometry and advising to change the number of heads to 128.
I ignored this suggestion, as I could see all my files/folders on the external hard drive (some appearing in RED) using the "P" key.
I pressed Y to confirm writing the new partition table but never got the next window suggested in your guide, i.e. appears that the boot sector was alright.
Would like to mention that after pressing Y to confirm writing new partition table, the next window simply asked me to reboot, but the external hard disk was still not accessible after rebooting to windows.
Please let me know if you need additional info- therez a life worth of media (AV) on the disk!
Thanks a Ton
P.S.
10 hours back I tries using Easeus data recovery pro to recover data from the disk. It still shows around 60 hours left to complete operations.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

You can wait for Easus to finish or stop it, it does not matter to me. Just make sure that you DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT WRITES DATA TO THE PROBLEMATIC DRIVE.

Nothing you have posted so far has me too concerned about the chances of recovering your files :) but we want to be careful.

Before I give you some instructions, I'd like to know a few things.

What is the manufacturer and model of the computer that you have the bad drive connected to?

Do you have another drive connected to that computer that has enough free space on it to hold all of the data that you want to recover (in case a repair looks dangerous to the data)?

If you do have another drive that we can copy recovered files to, is it an internal drive or an external drive?

Does the computer that the drive is connected to have a wired connection to the internet or is it using a wireless connection?

With the answers to these questions, I can get you some instructions for the next step.

James

#5 knedge

knedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hi James, the replies to your queries as follows:

1. The drive is connected to an HP Pavilion DM1 laptop

2. I do not have a single drive that could accommodate all the data- but the absolutely essential data can be distributed between my another external drive (250 GB) and the internal drive on the laptop (200 GB). The external 250 GB drive can be connected to the laptop.

3. There is no connection to internet on the laptop as of now but I have another PC of mine connected to the net. I can conncet the laptop to the net using USB modem/dongle.

Thanks for the prompt response.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the answers.

The first thing we can try is to see if we can easily copy some of the most important data so the other work we do is not so stressful :)

Connect the bad drive and connect the external 250GB drive to the laptop.

Now boot the laptop into PartedMagic.

We are going to see if the bad drive is visible in the File Manager in PartedMagic. It is a lot more forgiving than Windows Explorer so we may get lucky.

First we must mount the bad drive and mount the two good drives that you will copy data to.

Click the MOUNT DEVICES button which is down in the lower left of the desktop. Here's a picture...
http://litten.com/images/mount1.jpg

You want to click the green MOUNT button next to the partition on the bad drive that has the data that you want.

Click the green MOUNT button next to the drive partitions that you want to copy to. If you aren't sure which drive is which then post a picture or description and we'll try to tell you. Your internal drive may have more than one partition on it like a factory recovery partition or maybe others so make sure you pick the right one. Again, ask if you are not sure.

Be patient as they can take a few moments to mount sometimes.

NOTE THE NAMES OF THE DRIVE NEXT TO THE UNMOUNT BUTTON (was MOUNT button before you clicked it) They should be something like /media/sda1 and /media/sdb1 and /media/sdd1 (though yours may be different)

Once you have mounted both the bad drive and the drives that we are copying to, you will notice that the File Manager window opened also when you clicked the MOUNT DEVICES button. In it you will see folders representing your drives. The File Manager window should be displaying the contents of the /media folder and your drives will be folders called sda1 and sdb1 and sdd1 (though yours may have different names that you got by looking next to the UNMOUNT button).

Double click the folder for your bad drive and if you see your files and folders then simply select what you want to copy to the new drive and right-click and choose COPY. Then navigate to the folder that represents the good drive and right-click and choose PASTE just like if you were in Windows Explorer.

Let us know if this works, if you have any questions, if it does not work for you or you can't see the files/drive.

James

#7 knedge

knedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks Dude, I am copying the files as you suggested.
I can see all my files and folders in the mounted external hard disk.
I hope to copy most of my content intact.
Will let you know if I face any problem.
Thanks again for being so prompt and helpful!

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Excellent. When you got everything, let me know if you want to try to make the drive visible in Windows again.

Give it a try after you copy your files as it may be visible since it had to do a lot of work accessing the filesystem's meta files in Linux for you to recover those files. Windows might see it now but we may need to give it a little push :) We can also check the physical health of the drive to see if it is trustworthy for continued use.

James

#9 knedge

knedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi James, as mentioned, I have been able to pull majority of my data off the bad disk. Still, around 250GB remains for which I would need another external hard disk- hope the delivery happens tomorrow.
I would surely like to use the bad-disk again in windows (I cant as of now) if there isn't much physical damage. its just a year old! Will let you know as soon as all the data is off the drive.
You have been a life saver!

#10 knedge

knedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi James, with your help, I have been able to rescue ALL data from the bad-drive. Thanks a ton...1TB took a lot of time to transfer but I am up and rolling again!
Please help me with checking the reliability of the bad-drive and guide me if I should be using it henceforth or not. Its just a year old and this trouble started after I disconnected it from my windows 8 PC without ejecting it first.
Thanks again...

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm happy to hear that!

Let's check the health of the drive now. Since it is pretty new, the results of this test may qualify it for replacement under warranty. If it passes, we'll see if we can make it usable again.

Boot into PartedMagic

Check SMART status of drive
After PartedMagic loads, double-click the Disk Health icon on the desktop and then double-click the icon for your hard drive.

Click on the PERFORM TESTS tab.
Make sure that the Test Type is set to Short Self-Test and click the EXECUTE button
I will need to know if it passed or not.
Next click the ERROR LOG tab and let me know if there are any entries and if there are let me know what the rows say.
Next select the ATTRIBUTES tab and let me know what the raw values are for the ID's listed there.

If you can connect to the internet from PartedMagic use Firefox (icon on the desktop) to login here. You can get a report from the Disk Health program by clicking the VIEW OUTPUT button. Copy and paste it in your reply here for both drives and that will tell me everything.

If you don't have an internet connection while in PartedMagic,
I need to know...
  • Did it pass the Short Self-Test?
  • Any entries in the Error Log
  • The Attributes list (at least the RAW VALUES for ID's 1, 5 and 197 if you have to type them by hand in your reply)

There are more detailed instructions with pictures here

James

#12 knedge

knedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hi James,
As guided, I ran the diagnostic tests on my external USB drive.
The result for SMART test are as follows: (Completed with read failure)
1. Drive did not pass the SMART test
2. The Error Log row-values are as follows:
Error# 19079 throu 19083: Lifetime hours: 125, State: Active or Idle, Type: Uncorrectable error in data, Details: at LBA=0X00000a68= 2664
3. Attributes:
ID 1: 1185635798 (pre failure)
ID 5: 0
ID 197: 16

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Okay, on some Seagate drives, attribute 1 goes nuts but it is often not a problem (but sometimes it is, you just can't tell on those).

However, failing the short test and having a non-zero value for the Raw Data on attribute 197 probably qualify it for replacement under warranty.

Go here and go straight to step 3
http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/

If you have difficulty or they deny you, let me know and we'll see if we can at least make it usable but not trustworthy (for temporary storage or things you don't mind losing)

James

#14 knedge

knedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Chief, will let you know wrt the replacement.
Do you think it would be advisable to try and format the disk now that the data has been recovered?

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi

That would not make things any worse but may uncover more problems that are already there.

I would not trust it with important data since failing the short SMART self test is an indication of irreversible damage more times than not. It may continue to grow bad/unreadable sectors.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users