Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is so bad about Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 one2treefor5

one2treefor5

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Hi. Ever since Windows 8 was release, I heard nothing but negative reviews about the OS. I had it for a while now, and it did took me some time to figure it out, and I just don't see any problems at all. I mean I prefer the desktop mode on my desktop, but people complain about the Modern UI(I don't get why Microsoft change its name from Metro). Even my friends bleep about the new interface until I showed them how to turn it into desktop mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I concur. Turn off all tiles except Desktop and it will look just like normal, if a desktop interface is preferred.
Did this with Win8Pro and installed Thunderbird, to avoid having a Microsoft Account for Mail, etc.
Doesn't take long to get into it; negative comments generally come from people who just hate change, IMO.

#3 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I agree, it makes W7 look a little outdated
Try typing a in Search then click on Settings and Files ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT

#4 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I installed "Classic shell" and now when I boot, I go directly to the desktop with just a brief stop on the metro interface. I also, installed Thunderbird for emails. Over all, I like it. But, it takes a little time to get used to it.

#5 Taintedman

Taintedman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Nothing's wrong with it i think it's perfect ..well at least I think so :whistle:

edit - i think it's just bandwagon's going around hating it i tend to ignore them mostly.

Edited by Taintedman, 08 January 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#6 leshibumity

leshibumity

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Nothing is wrong with Win8. It's just that some people don't like the change in the interface: missing start button, new start screen, etc. They will in a couple of months/years, when the UI will look quite natural. Microsoft ditched the Metro name due to copyright issues.

Edited by leshibumity, 09 January 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I like it to, very much actually , first tip, put DESKTOP as the first icon in metro screen and then just hit enter on the keyboard when windows boots ,
also im staring to like some of the windows apps ,open start and type in Snagfilms and download the app if you want to watch some and i say some , free documentary and Indie films movies ..
to boot right to the desktop,with a small delay put a program you use the most in to startup .
new startup folder location is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
then just copy and paste the startup icon to the program of choice and away you go

edit ,not all programs will open to the desktop without permission so actually it dosn't work for just any program , i actually copied a [my]Computer icon to the srartup folder and it works with a short delay

Edited by caperjac, 12 January 2013 - 07:12 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 faadajoe

faadajoe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I prefer the Desktop interface, the tiles section for me just replaces the start menu, I don't really see what the problem is, it takes one keypress to switch between them. As someone said earlier, some people aren't necessarily rational in their complaints.

The best thing for me is that I was able to load it on my 6 or 7 year old Dell XPS which I was just about ready to get rid off and all of a sudden it feels like a new computer, light and fast like it's never been before. Since I got the 64 bit version of Win 8 I was also able to upgrade the memory to 8GB and plan to get an SSD drive to make the OS experience even faster.

#9 JHarts

JHarts

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I have had it for three days and I'm trying desperately not to hate it because I really don't want to be a dreaded Change-Hater. I have 7 and XP on my other laptops, so if I get totally frazzled by the learning curve, I'll switch off to one of those.

I did install Classic Shell and that saved me from insanity. I couldn't find Control Panel for the life of me and it was making me furious that I needed to log in with my MS account's rather long password so setting up additional user accounts was critical.

caperjac - the desktop hint is brilliant!! Thanks for that....really!!

I'm having some touchpad issues but I'm living with them for a while - I don't want to jump the gun and disable features so I end up with a touch pad that functions like the first one ever invented. I did that with my other laptops out of the box and maybe I would have fewer surprises if I had stuck it out.

For now - I'm on the fence.

#10 JHarts

JHarts

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hey - for those using Classic Shell, how do I get from CS desktop back to MUI? I guess CS makes the miniature MUI disappear.

#11 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

The Control Panel is easy to find. Just type Win-X.

#12 psb

psb

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I consider the Start Metro as the Start Button
(but I seldom need it or use it)

Agreeably it is more for touch.....but not completely

I am talking mostly about desktop use here...not touch

I keep the desktop tile, as many have mentioned before, in the top left corner

When I boot up in 15 seconds...no SSD just a plane old HDD...
(got to like Win 8's start up times)

I tap enter @ the Start Screen and I am @ the Desk Top

If I want to go back ....I just tap the Win-Option key (windows flag key)

Alt + F4 and I have the shutdown window..or switch user option

I think Win 8 is fine

#13 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Jharts, move your mouse pointer to the bottom right corner of the desktop(out of sight). A menu will pop up,scroll up the menu to start and click. Walla, the metro screen appears. :)

#14 psb

psb

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Drag the cursor to the bottom left corner ....while on the desktop

Wait for the blue Start to pop up

Then right click and you get more than 14 new options in a easy to use menu

Including the control panel, device manager and many more

#15 JHarts