Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install to a RAID

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

I am trying to install Linux Ubuntu 12.10 from a USB flash drive.
Not only am I new to Linux, I am new to RAID's.

I am trying to install Linux to a set of striped drives. The virtual device, as I believe it is called, is named Raptor. It is a pair of Western Digital VelociRaptors (300GB each). They are on a Marvell RAID controller on my Motherboard. Windows is recognizing both drives as one drive, and a benchmark just gave me 297MB/ps read on the raptors, so I know they are installed and functioning properly.

In this picture are my installation options Posted Image
It confuses me because it is showing 2 drives, which should register as 1, as being 4 drives. Or perhaps it is showing drive then partition for each, to make 4 devices.
Then there is the question of where do I install "device for boot loader installation" (whatever that is).

It seems no matter what combination of those drives I select for either of those two installation options, I keep getting the error "no root file system is defined".

I'm also gonna go on a limb and guess that on Linux, "dev" stands for Device, the sda1 would stand for Storage Device one (a), partition one (1). Assuming I am right about that, than what is "mapper" and what is with my RAID drives being labelled ddf1

One more anoying question, once I have linux installed, what will my home directory be? What I mean is, on Windows it's "C:\"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joseph Edwards VIII

Joseph Edwards VIII

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hardware RAID controller eh? Is this for fun or is there a reason you want to cause yourself pain? :) I suggest copying your data off then splitting your primary HDD in two and do your dual boot there as your 'System' drive and use the RAID array for data. Operating systems can be reloaded but data is irreplaceable.

It confuses me because it is showing 2 drives, which should register as 1, as being 4 drives. Or perhaps it is showing drive then partition for each, to make 4 devices.
Then there is the question of where do I install "device for boot loader installation" (whatever that is).

In the outline the toplevel /dev/* is the device whereas the indented /dev/* is the formatted partition on the device. So it's showing 2 drives each with 1 partition, and each with the same name.

If you were hell-bent on doing this you'd want to install Grub on both drives (the redundancy thing).

It seems no matter what combination of those drives I select for either of those two installation options, I keep getting the error "no root file system is defined".

That just means in the installer you need to double-click one of the partitions and specify one of ['/', '/boot', 'home', ...]. The '/' means 'root' in Linuxish (Linuxese?) You need to specify at least the root partition and probably a swap partition too.

In looking into this topic I found a couple recommending against using the hardware RAID controller and to instead do something like this:

http://physics.berkeley.edu/eshop/linux/debian-on-raid.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users