Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defragment external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

is it necessary/recommended to defragment an external hard drive that is used for backups? would it benefit the user?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

In my experience, I have not bothered defragmenting an external drive. Most drive or partition that were used to require automatic or manual defragment is the system drive due to being the mostly busy data exchange, read/delete/write area. External drives depends on the interface and controller speeds namely the expansion slots and usb ports.

Tekken

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

I defragment mine. If you are using the drive for backups only it may be more ordered than other drives and access will be infrequent. Otherwise, if you use them a lot the files will get badly fragmented over time. It's difficult to quantify advantages and disadvantages. I like things to be tidy and to have a decent-sized contiguous free space.

I defrag all my partitions (internal and external) at varying frequencies. Partitions with reference data I do every few months. OS and working files quite frequently. If you defrag regularly, each session is much shorter than doing it once in a while.

Edited by Nanobyte, 08 January 2013 - 01:33 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Hi sniper8752

The big problem with defragging a external drive is that most external drives are hooked up with USB2 and that interface is slow. If you have USB3 drives and a USB3 port that would be different. Since the USB2 interface is so slow compared to a USB3 interface or a internal drive it is my personal opinion that defragging most external drives will have a minimal benefit as regards speed. Since the drive itself is usually a desktop drive it will be fast enough to keep up with the USB2 interface no matter if the drive is fragmented or not. As I say this is my own opinion, I've never researched further.

My boot drive never gets defragmented, Since it is a SSD Defragmenting is a no no. My Internal Data drives, when I'm done with a Video project, they get a ersatz form of defragmenting. I just Quick format and done. That does of course delete everything but then that was the goal anyway. Anything I want to keep such as the Video Source files goes to a USB3 external drive. Since I never delete from that drive it doesn't get fragmented.

Hopefully this information helps. It is an alternative way of looking at it of course.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

USB2 drives are certainly slower to work with but I don't see them any different to internal drives. Speed is only part of the issue. Ease of maintenance, reducing wear and tear and file recovery are other factors.

First of all, partitioning or organizing to suit usage. If you have all your "library" files, eg home videos, in one dedicated partition or whole drive and they are badly defragmented, the HDD head is jumping all over the place to find the bits when you play them back. Since the videos are never changed, defrag once and you are done. Each video will be on the same track or adjoining tracks, reducing wear and tear on the HDD. You only need to defrag occasionally to accomodate new additions.

A drive or partition with frequently changed files can have various scenarios. If the files come and go quickly, there is no point in defragging. If the files hang around for a while and are being accessed, it's worth defragging. If these files are kept in a different partition to "library" files, you can quickly defrag (or malware scan) without processing a bunch of files that don't need it.

Smart defragging the OS drive keeps the startup files together and at the start of the disk. May or may not be noticeable in startup speed.

My observations (because I defrag and see what is going on) are that defragmentation rapidly escalates, particularly with mixtures of large and small files, and when you get low on free space. You find that there is not enough free space for the large files so they are fragmented from the start. Using a smart defrag maintains the largest possible free space which reduces future fragmentation.

If you are scanning for malware and files are in numerous parts, the HDD head is having to skip all over the platter to find the bits. Same deal with wear and tear.

In the rare event of a drive crash, the more advanced recovery algorithms look for recognizable file headers and footers. If the files are not contiguous, that is completely defeated.

A contiguous file is quicker to be read but given today's speeds, that is not a big deal. As pointed out by others, there may be speed limitations elsewhere.

Defragging puts some wear and tear on the HDD. You limit the amount of defragging to suit the content and what has recently been added.

Like running any utility, if you periodically observe the process, you get a feel for what is normal. That makes it easier to spot unusual activity.

The benefits of defragging are quite small but it's such a trivial task if you do it to suit the drive usage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users