Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Intel SSD do I have?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BigElCat

BigElCat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I bought a used Intel SSD off theBay. It was sold as an X-25M 160G. I'm trying to download Intel's toolbox but I want to make sure which unit I have. It's model number SSDSA2M160G2GC 2.5". The description on the label reads; 3Gb/s SATA SSD 160G 5V 1A.

It's installed in my old Dell XPS-400 which is running Windows 7 Pro. I hooked to the SATA 2 slot on the motherboard, but the new found hardware wizard did not detect it. I guess I need to do something in the BIOS menu (?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Being a used hdd I would guess that the previous owner wiped the hdd before they sold it. If this is the case it will need to be formatted before the computer will recognize it.

Does this hdd appear in the BIOS or Disk Management?

Edited by dc3, 08 January 2013 - 07:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi BigElCat

According to This page that is what you have.

As for not showing up once you have connected the power cable and the smaller data cable you may have to turn on the SATA port in the Dell BIOS setup. Many of the older Dells only had the SATA ports that were used enabled, the rest were turned off.

Once you get the Intel SSD toolbox installed hopefully it will show OK.
This should be the Toolbox You need. It is the same one my SDD uses so I would expect that it will show all the same functions for your drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=133801
Notice my Intel SSD shows Full green for Estimated Life remaining and Drive health. Which is what I like to see using the link above.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 January 2013 - 04:07 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 BigElCat

BigElCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

^^^Thanks Rotor123!

You nailed the ID of this SSD. It's the one with silver case w/black trim ring. It looks like it should work well with with my XPS-400. I downloaded the Intel Toolbox you recommended. My plan is to make a mirror image of the HDD, and run from the SSD. I will use the original 160G HDD to maintain a mirror image of the SSD as a back up.

I realize I will be compromising the performance potential of the SSD by putting the HDD style directories (?) on it, but I want to be able to mirror from the SSD back to the HDD. I've never done anything like this before, so I am open to advice, if I can understand it.

I paid 50 cents a gig for the used SSD. I hope I can get it working. I'm going to power down now, verify the SATA connection, and go into the BIOS. I'll report back here ASAP.

#5 BigElCat

BigElCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yeee Haw!

I have the Intel X-25 connected to the SATA 1 port. The original HDD remains connected to the SATA 0 port. I had to turn the SATA 1 port 'on' in the BIOS. The Intel installer came up automatically and called for a firmware update. I did the update. The Toolbox tells me the SSD is 100% functional, with 100% life remaining...YES...$80 for a 160G SSD! The firmware occupies 49M on the SSD. My HDD only has about 30G on it, including the OS.

I have the BIOS set to 'RAID auto-detect / ACHI (or is it AHCI ?). Is this the thing to do?

What should I do next? Acronis True Image?

Thank you.

#6 BigElCat

BigElCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Back in July of 2012, I had similar questions, but I didn't get the SSD until now.

Changes made to my computer include upgrading to Windows 7 Pro, and adding 5G of RAM. I now have a total of 6 gigs of Kingston 667mHz RAM, but only 3.6G are being used. Apparently, the 32 bit version of Windows 7 is limited to 4G of RAM. Or maybe my Duo Core Processor / motherboard is the limiting factor.

Any guess here, would upgrading to 64 bit Windows 7 allow me to use my extra RAM on this computer. I'll try to important the CPU-Z info regarding my computer.Attached File  BRET-PC.txt   66.31KB   3 downloads <it's there

Edited by BigElCat, 08 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hi

You need to do a clean install of the 64bit version to use more than approximately 3+ gigs of memory. It is a limitation of the 32bit windows and not the CPU and if the BIOS shows 6gig of memory and a 64bit processor you are good to go to a 64bit Windows.

What you can do to clone the drive is use this software from Intel.

Intel® Data Migration Software

Detailed Description

The Intel® Data Migration Software copies your drive's contents from your old storage device to your new Intel® Solid-State Drive. The software can help make this transition smooth and painless.

Before using the Intel® Data Migration Software, please download the Data Migration Software Guide.

After you install your Intel® SSD and the Intel® Data Migration software, the software will detect both your old and new drives and guide you through the cloning process, i.e. show you how to move all of your data from your slower HDD to your fast new SSD. Before you begin, however, make sure the amount of data on your old drive doesn't exceed the size of your new SSD.

Just make sure you are going from the right drive to the right drive.

There are many version on that page, Be sure to use the right one, for example the english version or what ever language you prefer. There is also a
Intel® Data Migration Software Help.pdf

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 January 2013 - 10:05 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

FWIW: I have used Macrium Reflect to clone to and from my SSDs (Corsair) on two systems. No problems noted.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users