Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im Guessing Its Either Here Or Hardware I Go To For..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:28 PM

Its either here or hardware I go to for modem problems. Anyway, I'm Running a Toshiba PCX1100U USB Cable Modem (NDIS 5), and everything runs fine and dandy for this several year old modem. I'll be online for several hours and then for no reason at all, the modem will lose the cable signal. The computer responds to this as if the modem has been unplugged and plugged back in. It then searches for a new cable signal, and reconnects. now, Im running aol broadband through Time warner.. And when this happens, AOL freezes, but I understand why. Thats not what im worried about, What im wondering is why the modem does this..

Edit:

I meant to say that this isnt a mal-ware problem either. This has been going on since before I reformatted 2 months ago.

Edited by Uraiser, 27 March 2006 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

Uraiser,

Since your modem seems to "reboot" after a few hours. I would suggest going into the modem configurations and get your modem levels. Then check with AOL to see what their parameters are for stable service. Without knowing, for sure. You could be running the ragged edge for db loss acceptability, and dropping the signal.

Be (db Loss) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

Uraiser,

Since your modem seems to "reboot" after a few hours. I would suggest going into the modem configurations and get your modem levels. Then check with AOL to see what their parameters are for stable service. Without knowing, for sure. You could be running the ragged edge for db loss acceptability, and dropping the signal.

Be (db Loss) Safe

Though my comp skills are slightly higher than average, im still learning every day, Networking as i said in another post is still very new to me. How would I do these things? And what is "DB"?

Edited by Uraiser, 27 March 2006 - 07:50 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:28 PM

Uraiser,

With most modems you can go to 192.168.100.1 in your browser window to see the configurations and settings as well as logs. Check your user guide if that is not the IP or even possible. But you should get something like this if you are able to:

Downstream Value
Frequency 567000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
Power Level 3 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 5
Frequency 21600000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 44 dBmV

Those are my levels from a Motorola Surfboard modem.

A quick definition of dB is as follows: The decibel, or dB, is a means of expressing the gain of an active device (such as an amplifier) or the loss in a passive device (such as an attenuator or length of cable). It is simply the ratio of output to input expressed in logarithmic form. The decibel was developed by the telephone company to express the gain or loss in telephone transmission systems (Excerpt from here.)

Be Safe

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:57 AM

I had a similar problem with my cable modem and VoIP telephone. It was cracks in the coax wire running from the pole to the house. Evidently squirrls love the taste of the coax wire (the is what the tech told me) and this is not that uncommon of a problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users