Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flippitydip

flippitydip

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Alright first of all, hello, I am new here and after much lurking on many forums and yahoo answer pages I have given up and decided to actually post something on a forum about my problem. OK so here goes, I bought this computer used off of ebay about 3 years ago and it worked just fine except it would occasionally restart without warning. When this would happen the screen would suddenly look corrupted (bear with me here this is hard to describe) it looked as if the desktop had been multiplied various times on the screen like a grid and it looked very distorted and pixelated. The mouse would be unaffected and stay frozen wherever it originally was on the screen. This would last for a second and the computer would reboot automatically and act as if nothing happened.

This would happen rarely so I never cared to look into it, in the last year it did this a little more, but not enough that it was a big problem. I, figuring it was the graphics card, would take out the card and put it back in and it seemed to help but it might not have been doing anything. Lately it has been doing it every time I turn it on, and when it happens I now get a blue screen of death. It doesn't happen automatically and it is very random, but sure enough eventually it does.

Now I also believe I have ruled a few things out. For one I did virus scans regularly and usually everything I download I scan, I am pretty sure this isn't a virus. The last antivirus I used was Avast, before that I was using AVG for a while (it blocked my internet connection so I stopped using it), before that I used Microsoft Security Essentials (I used that one for a long time, I stopped using that one because it would crash my computer usually after it updated and i would always have to use a system restore point), and the first antivirus I used was Norton 360. None of these programs would ever find a virus that would cause this restarting problem. I uninstalled Avast like a day ago to see if maybe that was causing the blue screens and it wasn't. So basically I'm pretty sure that neither a virus nor antivirus was causing this problem.

I also thought that maybe it was the hard drive failing so I used Chkdsk to see if there was anything wrong with it. I looked at the log and as far as I know it didn't find anything. This led me to believe that it wasn't the C drive but I may be wrong. I only used Chkdsk on the hard drive that windows is installed on and it's 1TB in size so it took forever. I have another 2TB hard drive that Install all the games I can in but I have yet to scan it since it would probably take twice as long.

I was completely dumbfounded as to what it could be, I tried reading the minidumps and the memory.dmp files using windbg but I had no idea what I was looking at. Not to mention that windbg kept complaining about not having symbols or something, either way I lost patience with it.

Being desperate I opened my case, unplugged all the hard drive cables, took out all the ram, took out the graphics card, and gave it a good aerosol dusting. This actually seemed to work for a few weeks but it started blue screening again yesterday. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or if unplugging everything and putting it back in actually helped.

Alas I did find some hope, when I turned on my computer today I thought it would be a good Idea to leave it idle and see if it would crash with no provocation. It stayed on for a good couple of hours with no problem. I booted up firefox to look up some stuff and it stayed strong, I played a game for a few minutes and still nothing. I decided to cook some breakfast which took me a good 20 to 30 minutes when my brother yelled at me from upstairs to tell me that it had blue screened and rebooted. At this point I was about to give up and just take it somewhere to get it fixed but when I logged back in and started up firefox again it brought up the recovered tabs and one of them was a youtube video my brother had looked up. Looking back I realized that every time my computer has blue screened there was always some sort of video playing. The first time it did I was watching some shows on vlc but If i remember correctly I also had a youtube vid buffering in the background. Point is usually if there's video, I get a blue screen and I go on youtube every time I turn it on. This has led me to believe that it actually was the graphics card the whole time, but still I could be wrong.

As of now it has not crashed and it has been another couple of hours and I have yet to go on youtube or watch any other videos for that matter. Also I think I already put it in here but gaming doesn't seem to effect it.

Sorry about the length but I was trying to be as detailed as possible, I have included the minidumps in a zip so you guys can look them over and such. Thanks in advance for any help. Also I have yet to check the ram so that might be it?

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit

Asus Essentio CG5275

Intel Quad Core i5 3.2 GHz

8 gigs of ram

Radeon HD 4650 512mb ddr2 (yeah I know it's gross)

Don't know about the motherboard

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Having debugged the minidumps with WinDbg, I doubt very much that the BSOD issue has anything to do with the graphics card. Nor is it likely to be a memory (RAM) problem.

Let's collect some more information: I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem.

:step1: Please follow the instructions: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 8, 7 & Vista

(Note: When you run BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe, it will also run autoruns.exe ... and both need to be in the Documents folder!)
... with one exception to the following line under Step 4:
  • "Create a new thread HERE and attach the file(s)."
The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit).
  • Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.
See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

I can recommend Posted Image: Also suitable is Posted Image

:step2: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

:step3: Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your Desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List Installed Programs
  • Click Go.
    When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.
  • Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
    (Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 flippitydip

flippitydip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Did I have to do the perfmon /report thing the instructions said? Because I didn't really understand what it wanted me to do. Otherwise here's everything else:

output files

speccy

I attached the installed programs list since it is stupid long (3tb of space, I can't help myself)Attached File  installed_programs_minitoolbox.txt   26.52KB   5 downloads

Thanks for responding, smiley for you :lol:

EDIT: I forgot to say that I have k9 web filter installed (don't ask) and lately it was conflicting with avast. Don't know if that matters but there ya go.

EDIT EDIT: One more thing, my computer has been on the entire day, has not crashed and I have yet to touch youtube or watch any videos at all for that matter.

Edited by flippitydip, 08 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#4 flippitydip

flippitydip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

When my computer started up it had to do a system restore which I'm not to happy about. I did not have a blue screen though. All i did today was I turn it off, go to work, and turn it on when I came back and it had to do a system restore so I have no idea what it could have been. As of now haven't had a blue screen yet and, once again, I have not been watching any videos at all so I'm just stumped.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hello flippitydip,

From your recent minidump files:

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswSP.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSP.SYS

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswTdi.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswTdi.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswTdi.SYS
 aswTdi
1. ) The above both belong to Avast Anti-virus. Avast Anti-Virus is known to cause BSODs.
  • Suggestion: Temorarily uninstall Avast as a test. If it proves not the cause of your problems, it can be re-installed later.
  • If it was purchased, please make sure that you have the appropriate registration information before uninstalling.
  • First, uninstall via Control Panel -> (view: by large icons) Programs and features.
  • Second, download and run the Avast Uninstall Utility. Restart the computer.
[/list]Note: If you have already uninstalled Avast, then please download and run the Avast Uninstall Utility to remove remnant files.

In the mean time, please download and install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). MSE is an effective anti-virus program and is known for it's stability. Next, download and install the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware to use as an on-demand scanner.
  • Do NOT start (uncheck) the trial version of Malwarebytes after installation.
Update the definition files for both and run a full scan with each. Please report if anything is found.

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\bckd.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bckd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bckd.sys
 bckd
2. ) Bckd.sys - K9 Web Protection Driver (parental web filter) is a driver file from company Blue Coat Systems, Inc. belonging to product K9 Web Protection.

This was reported in one recent bug check. I would also recommend that you unistall this application and run for a while without it as a test.

3. ) Graphic driver

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
 atikmdag+0x3d8000

atikmdag.sys - ATI Radeon graphics driver system driver file.

atikmdag.sys Thu Apr 05 21:48:25 2012
Please make sure that you have the most recent drivers for your Radeon HD 4650 graphics card.

4. ) Outdated or potentially problematic drivers:

sptd.sys Sun Oct 11 16:55:14 2009 (4AD24632)
SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% (known BSOD issues with Win7)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=sptd.sys

If you have either of these programs installed, I recommend that you uninstall them, at least as a test.

Please uninstall Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%. They use a driver called sptd.sys (scsi pass through direct) which is a know cause of BSODs.
  • First, uninstall the program via Control Panel -> (view: by large icons) Programs and features.
  • Second, since the sptd.sys is frequently left on the system after uninstall, please run this Installer and Uninstaller Tool.
    • Choose the appropriate x86.exe or x64.exe file.
  • If sptd.sys is found, please click "Uninstall." Restart the computer.
If you had removed these programs previously, then please run the sptd removal program above as sptd.sys remains on your system.

lmimirr.sys Tue Apr 10 18:32:45 2007 (461C108D)
RemotelyAnywhere Mirror Miniport Driver or LogMeIn Mirror Miniport Driver
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=lmimirr.sys

LMIRfsDriver.sys Mon Jul 14 12:26:56 2008 (487B7E50)
RemotelyAnywhere Mirror Miniport Driver or LogMeIn Mirror Miniport Driver
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=LMIRfsDriver.sys

hamachi.sys Thu Feb 19 05:36:41 2009 (499D3639)
LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual network interface driver
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=hamachi.sys

Please either update the above software or uninstall it, if no longer used.

5. ) From your Speccy Snapshot:
Hard drive:
ST32000542AS ATA Device
Manufacturer: Seagate
Disk Letter: F:
File System: NTFS

C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count: 200 (168) Data 00000077C2 <=== 30658 (converted from hex)

UltraDMA CRC Error Count - "The count of errors in data transfer via the interface cable as determined by ICRC (Interface Cyclic Redundancy Check)."

This frequently indicates a bad connection of the data cable to the hard drive or possibly a bad cable.
  • Only if you are knowledgeable and feel comfortable safely working inside the computer:
  • Remove and reseat the SATA data cable to your hard drive F: as well as that SATA cable to the motherboard.
  • If you have an available SATA motherboard slot open, you could try changing the data cable to that slot.
  • If the data cable fit does not feel snug, you should replace the cable.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 flippitydip

flippitydip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thank you so much,I actually had uninstalled avast and it seems to have fixed the problem so far but all this other stuff you found was awesome. I shall now go and tune up my pc with your suggestions and once again thanks for the big help! Smiley for you :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users