Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skorbee

skorbee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hello!

New PC installed on December 23rd, 2012:

Gateway, model SX2110
500 gigs (but actually around 460)
Windows 8

Using Firefox

This PC replaced a PC that was REALLY old ....from 2004!!! When the new PC arrived, I simply took the Internet wire out of the back of the old PC and plugged it into the back of the new PC.
From December 23rd thru December 31st, it worked beautifully.

Then the trouble happened...

We've got AT&T U-verse, BTW......

On New Year's Day, there was no more Internet. I'd experienced similar problems with AT&T U-verse regarding "calendar issues" in the past. For example, last year, also on New Year's Day, there was no TV .....until I pulled the wire out of the cable box, waited for 10 seconds, and then plugged it back in. MAGIC!! TV restored!

This is different, however.

I tried pulling out and plugging in wires and turning on & off boxes and "re-booting" this and that, but to no avail. AT&T finallly sent some guy out after 4pm on New Year's Day. He then tried to explain something about "routers" and that this PC was using the "wrong router" from 12/23 to 12/31 ..... is that why it was working so well? Dunno.... Anyway, he removed the wire connecting the U-verse box to the PC and instead put a wireless connection in the back of the PC ....at the time, the Internet problem "seemed" to be fixed..

The following day (January 2nd), here's what happened...

Internet on for 10 minutes, Internet off for 2 minutes ....Internet on for 5 minutes, Internet off for 3 minutes .... Internet on for 7 minutes, Internet off for 3 minutes, On....off......on....off....etc., etc., etc., ...

Then I re-booted. At first I thought, "Hallelujah! Internet restored!!!" NOPE!!! It stayed on for 30 minutes, then back to 5-10 minute intervals of connectivity. Sigh.

Then I called for ANOTHER AT&T U-verse guy to come out and attempt to solve the problem. He came out Saturday and said this PC hasn't got a "LAN driver for wired Internet" (yes, I wrote that down word for word). He advised me to take the thing back to where it came from and have the store fix it. Sadly, I failed to ask him why the machine worked amazingly for the last week of December. Something tells me this "LAN driver" was fully intact at that point.

Most of Saturday and Sunday, the connection was great. However, this Monday morning, the problem is seemingly worse than it was Friday. It's almost as if it's off more than it's on (Could this be related to heavier Internet traffic on Monday mornings?).

Anyway, before I look for that receipt, is there anything else somebody here would like to recommend? I dare not call for a third AT&T U-verse guy, as they are seemingly no road map.

Thank You Very, VERY Much!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skorbee

skorbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Guys, today I have not yet been booted offline. But at this time yesterday, I was on & offline 20 times already.

Does this make any sense to you? Maybe malware or a virus and nothing to do with a "LAN driver"?

Thanks!!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi skorbee

The only 2 suggestions I have are test the internet with a different PC to pin down the problem to either the PC or the ISP. Bottom line you need to be sure is it the PC or the Internet provider.

Also if it is the PC call Gateway, they sold it, they support it and they can determine if it needs warranty work.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users