Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows will not start

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 icandunkonu

icandunkonu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

startup repair says it can't fix my cpu automatically and ive tried to fixmbr etc in the command prompt, help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

You need to explain in detail the exact nature of your problem and what led up to it.

1) EXACTLY what happens when you try to start your system?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Tell us about your system.

#3 icandunkonu

icandunkonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

You need to explain in detail the exact nature of your problem and what led up to it.

1) EXACTLY what happens when you try to start your system?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Tell us about your system.

when i start my laptop it begins to load then a blue screen flashes for a millisecond and then it says windows cannot start and gives me the option to try to restart or launch startup repair. startup repair says it cannot fix this computer automatically

Problem event name: Startup repair offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200551
Problem Signature 05: autofailover
Problem Signature 06: 8
Problem Signature 07: failureduringsetup
os version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
locale id: 1033

recently i put all my files on my external hd and ran a factory restore because my cpu was performing unusually slow, would freeze when i tried to open a new site in firefox etc

i'm on a dell inspiron

is there any other information that i can provide that would help?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

When the system first starts tap the F8 (function) key and continue tapping it until you get to the advanced startup options screen. Select Safe Mode. Can you get to safe mode? If so, do the following:

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

If you cannot get to safe mode, from the same screen as above select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure". Reboot. That should generate a blue screen error. If it does, copy and post the entire error message as it appears, including any referenced files or drivers.

Last, you said "recently i put all my files on my external hd and ran a factory restore because my cpu was performing unusually slow, would freeze when i tried to open a new site in firefox etc". Please don't use "etc". Instead, explain IN DETAIL every problem you were having. And do you know why your system was freezing (was there malware, was there ANYTHING that happened that might have caused that in your opinion)?

#5 icandunkonu

icandunkonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

When the system first starts tap the F8 (function) key and continue tapping it until you get to the advanced startup options screen. Select Safe Mode. Can you get to safe mode? If so, do the following:

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

If you cannot get to safe mode, from the same screen as above select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure". Reboot. That should generate a blue screen error. If it does, copy and post the entire error message as it appears, including any referenced files or drivers.

Last, you said "recently i put all my files on my external hd and ran a factory restore because my cpu was performing unusually slow, would freeze when i tried to open a new site in firefox etc". Please don't use "etc". Instead, explain IN DETAIL every problem you were having. And do you know why your system was freezing (was there malware, was there ANYTHING that happened that might have caused that in your opinion)?

i couldn't start in safe mode so i did option 2

the blue screen reads as

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer

technical information:
*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

as far the problems i was having, my browser would freeze frequently and when i would open a new application it would often open slowly and freeze and become nonresponsive for a few seconds before it would open, i assume it was some sort of virus or malware, sorry i can't more detailed and explicit

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Two possible causes are either a boot sector virus or a bad hard drive. You can check the hard drive first and if it passes all tests you should post in the Am I Infected forum

Hard Drive Diagnostics:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

#7 icandunkonu

icandunkonu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Two possible causes are either a boot sector virus or a bad hard drive. You can check the hard drive first and if it passes all tests you should post in the Am I Infected forum

Hard Drive Diagnostics:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

my hd is made by dell, nothing is listed for dell in that link or am i mistaken?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

What is the make and model of your hd? If you don't know, check in device manager or download and run Belarc Advisor
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

What is the make and model of your hd? If you don't know, check in device manager or download and run Belarc Advisor
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Neither can be done because the computer will not boot.
========================================

STOP 0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Usual causes: Hard drive, File system, Boot sequence errors, Device driver, Virus infection (in particular check the MBR)

In your case you report a Stop: 0x0000007B (, 0xC000000D, , ) error in which the value C000000D = STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
  • This is most likely the result of partition table &/or boot file corruption (based on previous experience) ... most often caused by malware.
  • After you have tested the hard drive, and if it is found to PASS the tests, we will take a look at the MBR (Master Boot Record) to check that for damage/infection.
DELL does not actually manufacture hard drives: DELL uses hard drives in their systems that are made by other companies.
  • The brand of hard drive is not important at this stage. Let's try testing with Seagate's SeaTools.

==============
......Step 1... Test the hard drive.

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps can be done on any working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, I recommend that you DO NOT PROCEED, and instead exit/close the SeaTools utilitly and let me know what is happening.
    We should then take a closer look at the hard drive's condition before deciding on the next step and only proceed with a repair attempt after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.

==============
......Step 2... Please try the following: You will need a USB drive/flashdrive and a new blank writable CD.

:step1: Please do the following on a working computer:
  • Download GETxPUD.exe to the Desktop.
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
    A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and when finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
    Please be patient: This could take awhile - download file size 63MB.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
You will use this CD to boot the ailing computer from.

:step2: Boot the ailing computer with the xPUD CD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD/DVD drive.)
    A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
  • Click on File.
  • Expand the mnt icon on the left (click on the little arrow beside the icon).
    • sda1, sda2 etc. ...usually correspond to your HDD partitions
    • sdb1, sdc1 is likely to correspond to a USB flashdrive, external USB hard drive etc.
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?).
  • Click Tool on the top menu, and choose Open Terminal.
  • Type the following at the hash prompt:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Note: Leave a space between the following:
      • dd ... the executable application used to create the backup
      • if=/dev/sda ... the device the backup is created from (the hard drive when only one HDD exists)
      • of=mbr.bin ... the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
      • bs=512 ... the number of bytes in the backup
      • count=1 ... says to backup just 1 sector
        It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.
  • Press the <ENTER> key.
    After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin.
  • Go to Home > Power Off > Turn Off and remove the flashdrive as the system shuts down.

:step3: On the working computer:
  • Insert the USB drive, and navigate to the file mbr.bin
  • Zip-up the mbr.bin file:
    • Right-click on the file and choose Send to .. > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      A zipped folder will appear in the same location as the mbr.bin file.
  • Please attach the zipped file to your next reply.
    This will allow the MasterBootRecord of your hard drive to be checked to see whether or not it is infected &/or damaged.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the pickup AA - that's what I get for trying to post after a late meeting :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users